    using an unprotected wireless network. The client computer does not have the
    MS update on it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cannot find a solution
    on the Zone Alarm or Linksys sites.

    Marina, Jul 13, 2008

  2. To confirm if this is ZA issue, start the computer with clean boot. This how
    to may help.
    Windows general
    How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
    with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
    Start ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 13, 2008

  3. Marina

    Marina Guest

    Okay, Robert, I ran Windows with a clean boot...ran Windows in Safe Mode
    with Networking...and no joy. I still get "Limited or No Connectivity" and
    what I understand is a Microsoft IP address of 169.254.26.54, which will not
    repair. What now?

    Marina, Jul 13, 2008
  4. We had a post before. We can try it by checking the following link:

    Fix: KB951748/Zone Alarm - Loss of connectivity
    http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=7294#7294

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 14, 2008
  5. Marina

    RJK Guest

    Across several versions of ZA free firewall, (which really does make one
    wonder if there is a ZA ulterior motive in there somewhere), I had the
    "limited connectivity" problem with ZA reporting "169.254.26.54" instead of
    a proper gateway address, if memory serves. ...and my Linksys WAG354G
    stubbornly refused to dish up a (DHCP) IP address to Dads PC / WMP54G pci
    receiver card, in the house.

    I tried the "download the latest version of ZA," and after an extensive
    fight with hardware, and hard and soft firewall/s, was able to get Dad's PC
    to connect. BUT, after a short time the same problem would reappear.

    The ultimate solution was to uninstall ZA, AND run the cleanup utility from
    ZA, (on all PC's),
    and install "AVG internet security suite," so that I still have a software
    firewall, (I like to know what's trying to "get out onto the web").

    I would have liked to have retained ZA free but, it became far too
    problematic, especially with wifi connections.

    I especially would have liked to have upgraded to the paid version of ZA
    internet security suite, in gratitude for many years use of ZA free firewall
    but, each time I cleaned up my PC's, and installed ZA internet security
    suite, they would very soon suffer the same problem, plus a few others.
    Several times across several years, on different machines, across several
    releases of ZA, I got the same bad result with ZA internet security suite.

    A couple of months ago, I got rid of ZA free, on all my machines, and bought
    a multi license pack for AVG 8.0 internet security suite,

    AVG 8.0, (esp. the firewall), is HEAVEN, ...and there's so much of it !!!
    (call me sarcastic!)
    ....one can spend hours tweaking it, esp. the firewall ...SO MANY CONTROLS
    !!! ...but, at least it doesn't produce the
    "169.254.26.54" problem !!!

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jul 20, 2008
  6. Marina

    Grampy Pete Guest

    If you have either sp2 or sp3 you may have a conflict between one of the
    hotfixes in the service pack and your router/router connectivity. Goole your
    issue and read further.
    --
    Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete, Jul 21, 2008
  7. Marina

    RJK Guest

    I am, or was, up to speed with the MS KB951748 update / ZA "Sudden loss of
    internet" ...problem
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

    ....but, for me, FAR too much time was being spent fighting with ZA free
    firewall, ...it had to go.
    ....and it's "going" on lots of peoples machines, who I try to "help"

    ....thanks for your response,

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jul 21, 2008
  8. Marina

    NASA DOc Guest

    How can I fix THAT problem?

    My wireless system was working fine on ALL my desktops & laptops @ home &
    work. Now slowly, one-by-one, they are dropping off getting "little or no
    connectivity" warnings. They DO tend to use IP 169.254.*.* when wireless
    device finds an "excellent" full-strength network, but has no connectivity.

    Funny, INTEL ProSet Wireless works, but the Microsoft Client does NOT.

    Any thoughts, or ways to patch that sp3 issue? I think that is why these
    are dropping off 1-by-1 as we use them (& allow automatic updates to occur).

    I have NO firewall changes. I have a hardware firewall where the main T1,
    T3, and Cable Connections come into my respective buildings. XP came with
    Windows firewal installed on it, which is on. Otherwise, NO third-party
    software firewalls.

    So, tell me about this sp2/sp3 update conflicting with microsoft wireless
    client and how you've found/heard to fix it.

    THANKS.

    (I'd like to be productive working again and not running around fighting
    phantom wireless malfunctions, repeatedly.)

    NASA DOc, Aug 12, 2008