    better wireless router? The same problem afflicts 2 laptops (Dell and
    IBM) that I have tried.

    Thanks, Steve
    Steve, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Steve

    alexd Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > I am using Avaya Softphone and VPN to connect to my companies phone
    > switch.
    >
    > If I connect up (wired) through a Belkin 54G wireless cable router and
    > Virgin Media (NTL) 4Mb Cable service it works OK and I can make and
    > receive calls etc.
    >
    > If I am connect to the router Wirelessly (54G) either Avaya softphone
    > won't connect (to the Avaya Phone switch) or if it does connect it won't
    > make any calls and the audio indicators won't light up.
    >
    > It seems to be I should be able to connect wirelessly, do I need a
    > better wireless router? The same problem afflicts 2 laptops (Dell and
    > IBM) that I have tried.

    Can you get on the internet at all wirelessly through this router [ie
    without the VPN client]? Can you ping the router wirelessly? Check if there
    are any firewall rules on the wireless bit that aren't on the wired bit
    [not all routers can do this]. Also, I seem to remember some Belkins do
    funny things when they detect a VPN client in use. Does the Belkin have any
    logs to speak of?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:57:03 up 7 days, 1:41, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.12, 0.09
    alexd, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Steve

    TheFug Guest

    alexd schreef:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Avaya Softphone and VPN to connect to my companies phone
    >> switch.
    >>
    >> If I connect up (wired) through a Belkin 54G wireless cable router and
    >> Virgin Media (NTL) 4Mb Cable service it works OK and I can make and
    >> receive calls etc.
    >>
    >> If I am connect to the router Wirelessly (54G) either Avaya softphone
    >> won't connect (to the Avaya Phone switch) or if it does connect it won't
    >> make any calls and the audio indicators won't light up.
    >>
    >> It seems to be I should be able to connect wirelessly, do I need a
    >> better wireless router? The same problem afflicts 2 laptops (Dell and
    >> IBM) that I have tried.

    > Can you get on the internet at all wirelessly through this router [ie
    > without the VPN client]? Can you ping the router wirelessly? Check if there
    > are any firewall rules on the wireless bit that aren't on the wired bit
    > [not all routers can do this]. Also, I seem to remember some Belkins do
    > funny things when they detect a VPN client in use. Does the Belkin have any
    > logs to speak of?

    A good procedure to check things like this, try to make a connection,
    where both caller, callee are softphones,(begin and end points) when you
    use a hardware phone, or ATA behind a router and things don't work
    completely, you have a NAT problem..:(

    --
    The Fug.
    TheFug, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Steve

    Herman Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Avaya Softphone and VPN to connect to my companies phone
    > switch.
    >
    > If I connect up (wired) through a Belkin 54G wireless cable router and
    > Virgin Media (NTL) 4Mb Cable service it works OK and I can make and
    > receive calls etc.
    >
    > If I am connect to the router Wirelessly (54G) either Avaya softphone
    > won't connect (to the Avaya Phone switch) or if it does connect it won't
    > make any calls and the audio indicators won't light up.
    >
    > It seems to be I should be able to connect wirelessly, do I need a better
    > wireless router? The same problem afflicts 2 laptops (Dell and IBM) that I
    > have tried.
    >
    > Thanks, Steve

    I seem to remember Belkin MAC address security is only effective from WLAN.
    Can't remember what they call it but it might be something like Client
    Filters.

    Probably need to check if you can get any internet at all. I think it may
    give you an IP address even when you are blocked by MAC security.
    Herman, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Steve

    TheFug Guest

    Herman schreef:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using Avaya Softphone and VPN to connect to my companies phone
    >> switch.
    >>
    >> If I connect up (wired) through a Belkin 54G wireless cable router and
    >> Virgin Media (NTL) 4Mb Cable service it works OK and I can make and
    >> receive calls etc.
    >>
    >> If I am connect to the router Wirelessly (54G) either Avaya softphone
    >> won't connect (to the Avaya Phone switch) or if it does connect it won't
    >> make any calls and the audio indicators won't light up.
    >>
    >> It seems to be I should be able to connect wirelessly, do I need a better
    >> wireless router? The same problem afflicts 2 laptops (Dell and IBM) that I
    >> have tried.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Steve

    > I seem to remember Belkin MAC address security is only effective from WLAN.
    > Can't remember what they call it but it might be something like Client
    > Filters.
    >
    > Probably need to check if you can get any internet at all. I think it may
    > give you an IP address even when you are blocked by MAC security.

    yep, you should "allow" the mac address, you should find your device
    listed in your router menu, or you should get the option to "detect", be
    sure you allow the correct mac address, most of the time a hexedecimal
    code, which is also visible on the device itself.
    or switch off temporarily your NAT option in the router.

    --
    The Fug.
    TheFug, Nov 10, 2007