Wireless connection problem - please help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Hi there,
    Wondering if anyone can help me.
    I am having a wireless connection problem and have been going round in
    circles with BT and Sony and Microsoft with not much help at all.

    All has been working on my Sony Vaoi laptop VGN-TX1HP for 6 months and in
    the last few days it has been continually hanging on "acquiring network
    address"
    then "limited or no connectivity" / signal strength excellent
    Router is BT Voyager 2100 and is not secure. I also don't have a firewall
    enabled.

    It seems to be not resolving the right IP address (should start with 192.)
    and is just giving the autoconfiguration IP of 169.254.240.187

    Bt have cleared and renewed this.
    Sony say the internal modem is working fine (i even updated the driver) and
    that its BT's problem
    BT then say the TCP/IP stack needs to be refreshed - done and no joy
    Then sony its a router problem.

    There are 3 laptops connected to our router. Only mine has the problem and
    weirdly I can connect to other neighbours networks fine. I have tried
    connecting via ethernet to the router but get the same problem.

    when I do ipconfig /all it says:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TINY
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-9C-AF-55
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.88.78
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network
    from
    TOSHIBA
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-C7-81-4B-B8

    Any ideas? I am desperate! Thanks in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Try out ipconfig /all, or ipconfig/renew..and check out..

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VqYW4gTmFuZHk=?=, Sep 21, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=

    Guest

    On 21-Sep-2006, =?Utf-8?B?U3VqYW4gTmFuZHk=?= <Sujan >
    wrote:

    > > Any ideas? I am desperate! Thanks in advance

    Try static addresses, it's easy to change, or revert to Zero Config
    if static addresses doesn't fix it.
    ..

    , Sep 21, 2006
  4. Thanks for you replies. See earlier post for ipconfig /all results.
    This is what I get with ipconfig /renew:
    "An error occured whille renewing interface wireless Network Connection 2:
    unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has times out. No operation can
    be performed on Local Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected"

    I have tried putting a static IP in and it says it connects but i can get
    any web or email.

    How do I revert to zero config? is that ipconfig /release and then /renew -
    if so, no luck

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=, Sep 21, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=

    Lem Guest

    Crunchmonkey wrote:
    > Thanks for you replies. See earlier post for ipconfig /all results.
    > This is what I get with ipconfig /renew:
    > "An error occured whille renewing interface wireless Network Connection 2:
    > unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has times out. No operation can
    > be performed on Local Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected"
    >
    > I have tried putting a static IP in and it says it connects but i can get
    > any web or email.
    >
    > How do I revert to zero config? is that ipconfig /release and then /renew -
    > if so, no luck
    >

    > "" wrote:

    >> Try static addresses, it's easy to change, or revert to Zero Config
    >> if static addresses doesn't fix it.
    >> ..

    If you tried a static IP address with no luck, just put the checkmark
    back in the box to "Obtain an IP address automatically" on the TCP/IP
    Properties page.

    Let me recap what you've done/said so far and the logical inferences:

    "I can connect to other neighbours networks fine" -- your wireless
    adapter does not have a hardware problem and is turned on. This also
    indicates that your TCP/IP stack doesn't have a problem (which might,
    for example, have been caused by deleting some malware. I assume that
    when you said that you "refreshed" the TCP/IP stack, you followed the
    steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/)

    You get an autoconfiguration IP of 169.254.240.187 -- you are not able
    to contact the DHCP server in the router. This is consistent with the
    error message from ipconfig /renew (Do you also get this 169.254.x.x
    address when you try to connect to the router via ethernet? I assume
    the answer is yes.)

    "There are 3 laptops connected to our router. Only mine has the problem"
    -- your router's DHCP server is turned on and functioning properly
    (assuming that the other 2 laptops are not set to have static IP addresses)

    "I have tried connecting via ethernet to the router but get the same
    problem." -- This is not a wireless problem but a networking problem.

    There are only 2 things I can think of that would fit the above:

    1. The router is denying you access based on MAC address -- this is
    unlikely, especially if it is your router and you didn't set up this
    layer of security. Also, if you were working OK for the past 6 months,
    either your Vaio's MAC address was in the "authorized" list or MAC
    address filtering was turned off. Still, if your router is unsecured by
    an encryption key (very bad idea, BTW), someone else could have accessed
    your router and altered this part of the router's configuration. Take a
    look at your router's configuration pages. While you're there, check
    out any other methods your router provides for filtering access.

    2. Firewall. I know you said that "I also don't have a firewall
    enabled," but perhaps there's something acting as a firewall that you
    don't think of in that way. Recent versions of Norton AntiVirus, for
    example, has "Internet worm protection" which acts as a sort of
    firewall. Did you install a firewall or "internet security suite" and
    then decide you didn't like it and uninstall? Some things are harder to
    uninstall than they ought to be. Use Task Manager and identify ALL of
    the running processes. Try "Safe mode with networking" and see if that
    works.

    If still no joy, try this network troubleshooter from MVP Hans-Georg
    Michna. Be sure to answer the questions as completely and accurately as
    possible: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Lem, Sep 21, 2006
  6. Thanks Lem
    Yes all your recap was correct.
    I will check out your ideas. Thanks for you time!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3J1bmNobW9ua2V5?=, Sep 21, 2006