Wireless connection priority

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Simon Lew, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Simon Lew

    Simon Lew Guest

    I am wondering if someone could explain this situation to me.

    I have the following hardware:

    Netgear ProSafe Dual-Band Wireless VPN Firewall Router FWAG114 (Channel 6)

    Netgear Access Point WG302 (Channel 1)

    Netgear WG111T USB adapter

    Netgear WG111 USB adapter

    All are sharing the same SSID.

    The Router is located approximately 25 feet from the AP and 40 feet from the
    USB adapters. When I launch the adapter utility to view the network settings
    it shows the connection to the Router at an 83% signal. It also shows the AP
    signal at 90%.

    My question is: Why does the nodes bypass the AP with a stronger signal to
    get to the Router that is much further away. I've even highlighted the AP
    and selected the "connect" button and it would default back to the Router.

    Based on this scenario, it appears that I could disconnect the AP since it
    does not appear to be adding any value to the network.

    Your comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Simon

    Simon Lew, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Hi

    The Air around us does not discriminate against signals, your Router cannot
    block or Bypass the AP or vice versa, it is all around regardless of other
    transmitting devices
    Might be that one device has a better Antenna, or and it is physically
    positioned better in the environment, and thus compensates for the distance.
    Might me that the channel used by any of these devices is noisy and thus
    the signal strength does not represent the real Valid signal (see here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html )

    In any case, it takes a minute to disable the AP and see if it is not really
    needed

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 18, 2006