    speed?

    I'm a little lost with all this...anyone can explain in layman's terms I'd
    really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!!!

    I am I, Feb 9, 2006

  2. I am I

    I am I Guest

    Oh, and one other thing... how much range can I expect from this thing? I'd
    like to be able to use the notebook upstairs (one story up) in my attic and
    outside on my deck (probably only about 30 feet away, but a few walls in
    between).

    Thanks again!

    "I am I" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My ISP gave me a siemens speedstream 6520 wireless modem. I will soon be
    > purchasing a notebook computer for and wish to establish a wireless

    network
    > using this modem (I think).
    >
    > First of all, is this wireless modem good? I know they sell them in
    > different speeds (and I don't know much else about this) and want a fast
    > one. In addition, I know I'll need a notebook adapter (receiver?). What
    > one should I get, what speed? What am I looking for to optimize my

    network

    I am I, Feb 9, 2006

  3. I am I

    JANA Guest

    I am not familiar with your modem type. But generally speaking, follow the
    instructions to have it set up with encryption to help make it more private,
    and safe from having people get on to your service. Call your ISP for
    details, if you need additional information.

    As for the distance, many of the wireless networks will go for about 200 to
    300 feet. At the frequencies that they use, they can sometimes be stopped or
    made weaker by trying to pass through concrete walls.

    When you have it set up, you will be able to see the signal strength in the
    networking properties for it.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 9, 2006
  4. I am I

    Eli Coten Guest

    I am I wrote:
    > Oh, and one other thing... how much range can I expect from this thing? I'd
    > like to be able to use the notebook upstairs (one story up) in my attic and
    > outside on my deck (probably only about 30 feet away, but a few walls in
    > between).
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > "I am I" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My ISP gave me a siemens speedstream 6520 wireless modem. I will soon be
    >> purchasing a notebook computer for and wish to establish a wireless

    > network
    >> using this modem (I think).
    >>
    >> First of all, is this wireless modem good? I know they sell them in
    >> different speeds (and I don't know much else about this) and want a fast
    >> one. In addition, I know I'll need a notebook adapter (receiver?). What
    >> one should I get, what speed? What am I looking for to optimize my

    > network
    >> speed?
    >>
    >> I'm a little lost with all this...anyone can explain in layman's terms I'd
    >> really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!!!

    hi,

    Firstly, I am not aware specifically of the modem you mentioned, and so
    cannot comment on 'is it good?'. Generally a modem is a modem, and
    whilst there are some to avoid at any cost, most of them are absolutely
    fine.

    Next, your question about the speeds. If it is a DSL modem, then there
    can be only two speeds that the modem is most likely to support. ADSL,
    8Mbps or ADSL2+ 24Mbps. This all depends on the modem itself, and you
    won't see any benefit of using an ADSL2+ modem unless your phone line is
    activated with ADSL2+ and your ISP supports such high speeds.

    There is also the wireless speed. It is more likely this is the
    'different speeds' you refer to. Wireless usually comes in three
    flavours. A, B & G. Wireless A is upto 54Mbps. Wireless B is upto 11Mbps
    and Wireless G is upto 54Mbps. Wireless B & G are compatible and you can
    use the equipment to communicate with each other. Wireless A needs its
    own equipment and all the equipment on the network must be Wireless A
    compatible if this is what you choose. I should add that the most common
    type nowadays is Wireless G.

    If you are buying a brand new notebook, it almost certainly will come
    with a built in Wireless G receiver and so you shouldn't need to buy any
    extra equipment for the notebook.

    As for range, the best answer I can give you is try it and see. I know
    walls can interfere with range and it is better to place the
    modem/access point as high as possible.

    HTH,
    Eli

    Eli Coten, Feb 9, 2006
  5. I am I

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I am I wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My ISP gave me a siemens speedstream 6520 wireless modem. I will soon be
    > purchasing a notebook computer for and wish to establish a wireless network
    > using this modem (I think).

    No problem as the 6520 is a modem/router combination that you can
    connect wired computers to it on the four LAN ports and you can have
    wireless computers connected to the device too.

    http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=279

    The router part of the wire/wireless AP router gives you what's in the
    link about a NAT router.

    > First of all, is this wireless modem good? I know they sell them in
    > different speeds (and I don't know much else about this) and want a fast
    > one. In addition, I know I'll need a notebook adapter (receiver?). What
    > one should I get, what speed? What am I looking for to optimize my network
    > speed?

    The speeds of the wireless connections are in the first link. You may
    not get the full 54g Mbps but somewhere in the ball park and the speed
    should be good enough.

    > I'm a little lost with all this...anyone can explain in layman's terms I'd
    > really appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!!!

    The wire/wireless AP modem\router looks to be top of the line.

    You should take note on the security.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    You should be able to go 30 feet out on the reception but you'll have to
    find that out when you try it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 10, 2006