Wireless connection nightmares!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Garmez, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. Garmez

    Garmez Guest

    Hi all,
    I would be grateful for some advice.

    I keep losing my wireless connection on my desktop PC. I am using a DLink
    wireless adaptor as my desktop has no ethernet port. I have Windows XP,
    service pack 2 (I think). I set the router up using my laptop as this does
    have the ethernet port, it does not need the adaptor as it is wireless
    enabled.

    I occasionally started to lose connectivity on my desktop. Then, I could not
    connect at all and found I could not open the DLink icon on my desktop. I
    phoned DLink as at first I thought it was the adaptor, but I installed (the
    adaptor) as advised by DLink support, into my laptop to see if similar
    problems occurred - which they did not - so we could maybe eliminte the
    adaptor as the problem.

    I uninstalled the adaptor (from my desktop), ran spyware, McAfee system
    scan, Spybot and registry cleaner, and reinstalled. The system took ages to
    locate any network connection before giving up. I ran IPCONFIG & found that
    the all IP addresses had been set to 0.0.0.0!
    I statically set the correct IP and Subnet Mask addresses, even though these
    should have been found automatically. I managed to get the network connected
    - or so I thought - I could not connect to the Internet! I then lost
    connection again and found my addresses had gone back to 0.0.0.0. I then
    received window message stating the 'adaptor was not found, ensure it is
    installed correctly', which it was! After some research and some more scans
    and uninstall/reinstallations I ran a Winsock fix.exe. This looked like it
    had done the trick, though i still had to set the IP and subnet address, but
    it just bombed out again.

    Network Connections no longer shows the connection exists (again), Wireless
    Zero Configuration had to be started (again) and IPCONFIG/ALL shows
    absolutely nothing (again). The only successful ping I can do is 127.0.0.1.
    Manwhile, the Laptop connects fine.

    Sorry for the essay, just thought that more info provided would save time.

    Garmez, Aug 10, 2008

  2. Garmez

    Garmez Guest

    By the way, I have a Dell Dimension 8200.

    Garmez, Aug 10, 2008

  3. If try it without security settings, does that work? Or this post may help.

    Wireless IP is 0.0.0.0Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:25 am Post subject:
    Wireless IP is 0.0.0.0, Reply with quote ... If you setup wireless without
    security, can you receive IP? ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=6849&sid=5cb8e1ef1c38be3298a829eb613d4ef7

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Aug 10, 2008
  4. Hi
    As a first step move the computer few feet away from the Wireless Router to
    make sure that it is Not a signal strength problem.
    If you mange to configure it at a close proximity and it works well, move
    the computer to its original location and make sure that the Antenna Not
    stuck low between the tower and the wall. Position the computer in a way
    that the Antenna is Not blocked, or get an external Antenna with a cable
    that can be mount over the system.
    Use these steps to make sure that every thing is configured correctly.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 10, 2008
  5. Garmez

    Garmez Guest

    Thanks guys, just read your posts so not had the chance to action them yet.

    Before I do maybe I should mention that the network connections had been
    working fine since April. The router is on the top shelf of my work desk
    (about 5.5 feet high) and the adaptor is about a foot off the ground in the
    back of the PC.
    When it shows as connected, the strength is either 'very good' and more
    often than not 'excellent', yet still cannot connect to the internet - then
    it all bombs. Its the fact that the adaptor and DLink software seems to be
    uninstalling itself that makes me wonder if its something more nasty. (plus
    the loss of IP addresses)

    Cheers

    Garmez, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Garmez

    Garmez Guest

    OK Guys, the latest twist....

    Last night I set about another troubleshooting mission, I restarted DHCP but
    after a reboot, the Desktop decided now does not even want to recognize the
    adaptor. Tried in 3 different USB ports and nothing. Tested other USB device
    and it was recognized, so problem not the port. Plugged adaptor into laptop
    (after disabling wireless) and it worked fine, so I assume desktop must be
    screwed?

    Desktop is XP, Laptop is Vista - would this make a difference? I'm going
    mad! Help!!

    Garmez, Aug 11, 2008
  7. Hi
    If the XP USB is Not USB2 or does not support it well it might be a problem
    with a device that need USB2. Some 802.11g cards need USB to run at their
    rated speed.
    Otherwise get a PCI Wireless and install it inside.
    This card is very good and inexpensive.
    PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
    Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
    http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 11, 2008