wireless connection needs constant repair

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?b3B4aWRhZWE=?=, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. This is all new to me so please reply letting me know what other info you
    need so I can get some assistance fixing this. I am running two Dell
    Latitude D610 notebooks with WinXP SP2, with recent updates installed, and
    have ADSL 512, a SpeedTouch 510 gateway with a Netgear 54 Mbps wireless
    router. The wi/fi on the laptops is factory-installed. One laptop connected
    by ethernet to the SpeedTouch has no problem, so I don't think my problem is
    the ADSL line or the SpeedTouch. The other laptop, which has a wireless
    connection, had no problem until I recently relocated it to the other side of
    the office. Now I lose the wireless connection very frequently, every few
    minutes all day, and the only way to get it back is to "repair" it. It just
    disappears and under "available networks" I have nothing. I have read all
    the posts about this problem. I am not using encryption or 802.1x
    authentication. Now that I've relocated the office, the computer actually
    has line of sight to the Netgear and the SpeedTouch, which it did not have
    before. I tried doing a system restore to a month ago -- before the move and
    before the problem began -- and that didn't solve the problem so I'm guessing
    that means the problem is not originating with the computer. I am wondering
    if a cordless phone is the problem; it's in the same room and now only about
    10 feet away; before the move it was about 18 feet away. I'm wondering if a
    telephone/electric pole outside the window might be causing the connection to
    drop. Since the move, I am about 25 feet closer to that pole than
    previously. Also, there is a (not cordless) phone and fax about 15 feet
    away. Other posts about this problem have suggested changing the router
    channel (if a phone is the problem) or updating the router firmware. I've no
    idea how to do either of those things. I set up the wireless myself through
    lots of reading on-line and basically trial and error. Any suggestions you
    can offer will be appreciated. Unfortunately, moving the laptop to its
    previous location is not an option. Thank you!

    =?Utf-8?B?b3B4aWRhZWE=?=, Oct 31, 2005

  2. To reconfigure the channel of an AP, you usually use a web page served up
    by the access point. With a computer connected to the access point, run a
    'cmd' shell and type 'ipconfig'. The default gateway address is usually the
    address of your access point. Supposing the gateway address is
    '192.168.0.1', you would then navigate a web browser to http://192.168.0.1
    to configure the channel.
    Most access points require a password to change the settings. Ask whoever
    maintains the access point if they know it. If it hasn't been changed, you
    can probably find the password in the access point's documentation or by
    searching the internet (http://search.msn.com). Search for 'password',
    'default' and the model number of your access point.
    The computer doesn't have to be connected wirelessly to the access point
    to configure it. You might wire a laptop to each access point in turn to
    configure each.

    You should have these configured on opposite channels (try using 1, 6 and
    11 if this is 802.11g). Through experimentation I've found that when
    components are within line of sight sometimes no amount of channel
    seperation is sufficient to prevent cochannel interference. If changing the
    channel doesn't work, try to block the line of sight between between your
    computer and the access point you are not using. If you can move it behind
    a wall or a desk and some shelves- that might be sufficient.
    Generally, 802.11a doesn't have microwave/wireless phone interference
    problems and 802.11a access points won't interfere if they are on different
    channels. I've found though that 802.11a networks on different channels may
    still interfere if they are all within line of sight.
    Eliminating the line of sight is kind of a long shot, but I'd be curious
    to hear if it works. Good luck.

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Dec 9, 2005