    performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
    disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?

    I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.
    sally, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 29, 2008

  3. Hi
    Use the process as described on this page, it might help you to pine point
    the problem.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 29, 2008
  4. sally

    sally Guest

    Here is the results of ipconfig/all

    host name :toshiba-user
    Primary dns suffix:
    Mode type:Broadcast
    ip routing enabled:No
    Wins proxy enabled:No
    Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
    Media State: Media disconnected
    Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO

    Hope this clarifies.

    sally, Jan 29, 2008
  5. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    that isn't the complete results.
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:14 -0800, sally
    <> wrote:

    >Here is the results of ipconfig/all
    >
    >host name :toshiba-user
    >Primary dns suffix:
    >Mode type:Broadcast
    >ip routing enabled:No
    >Wins proxy enabled:No
    >Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
    >Media State: Media disconnected
    >Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO
    >
    >Hope this clarifies.
    >
    >"sally" wrote:
    >
    >> I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
    >> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
    >> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop. I
    >> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media state:
    >> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can be
    >> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
    >> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
    >>
    >> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jan 30, 2008
  6. sally

    sally Guest

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\>ipconfig/all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6B-C7-C7

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network
    Adapte
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-8E-FC-14

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-FC-8D-D0

    C:\>

    I deleted the network bridge and tried to install a wireless router.

    This is the results of ipconfig/all

    sally, Jan 31, 2008
  7. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    are you trying to use the built in Toshiba wireless or a USB
    adapter? is the Toshiba wireless turned on? there is either a switch
    or combination of keys you press.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 1, 2008
  8. sally

    sally Guest

    I was trying to use the toshiba wireless. The switch is turned on. I tried
    to install a USB adapter Belkin to see if it would find a wireless signal but
    it would not connect either.

    sally, Feb 2, 2008
  9. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    unplug and uninstall the USB wireless adapter. Then, please use
    System Restore and try going back to a restore point before you
    installed the VPN adapter and started making any changes.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 2, 2008
  10. sally

    sally Guest

    I uninstalled the USB adapter, however; I dont know how to do a system
    restore. How do I accomplish this? thanks.

    sally, Feb 3, 2008
  11. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    see if
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx
    helps

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 3, 2008
  12. sally

    sally Guest

    Ok, I did the system restore and it appears it picked up a signal for my
    dlink router. Howver, when i try and log onto the internet I dont have a
    connection. Under internet connections I show the VPN and Broadbrand under
    dialup connections. Is this what is wrong? Appreciate all your help in the
    sytem restore.

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name…..Toshiba –user
    Primary Dns Suffix
    Node Type….. Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled No
    WINS Proxy Enabled…………No
    Ethernet adapter Network bridge network Bridge) 4:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    Description………………MAC Bridge Miniport
    Physical ddress………..02-02-2D-6B-C7-Cu
    Dhcp Enabled…………..Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled……Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address….169.254.238.32
    Subnet Mask………255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway

    sally, Feb 3, 2008
  13. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    that is the COMPLETE result of ipconfig /all?

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    there is a Network Bridge shown. do you have an older restore point?
    which VPN did you install? you need to get back to a state before
    you installed this VPN adapter, created bridges, etc.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 4, 2008
  14. sally

    sally Guest

    I redid the system restore I only found one more date for restore point.
    This is the results of ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name…..Toshiba –user
    Primary Dns Suffix
    Node Type….. Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled No
    WINS Proxy Enabled…………No
    Ethernet adapter Network bridge network Bridge) 4:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    Description………………MAC Bridge Miniport
    Physical ddress………..02-02-2D-6B-C7-Cu
    Dhcp Enabled…………..Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled……Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address….169.254.238.32
    Subnet Mask………255.255.0.0

    This restore point is in 2000. I did not install the vpn until 2007. The
    vpn is for my job and the instructions that i was given was for windows xp
    installation.

    sally, Feb 5, 2008
  15. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the restore point is from 2000? 8 years ago? that does not sound
    right. the config below still shows a network bridge. in the network
    window, what do you see? can you unbridge the connections? does your
    company have an IT dept that can look at this (is this a company or
    personal computer?)

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 5, 2008
  16. sally

    deelacy

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    ohio
    system restore

    Hi Sally,
    Go to the start menu, click on all programs, then click on accessories, then click on system tools, then click on system restore. Follow the prompts after that. i am having the same problem kinda. I installed Belkin Wireless N Adapter a few weeks ago...everything was working fine then all of a sudden yesterday I couldn't access the net. It wouldn't let me connect to any network. I don't have a router or my own network but piggy backing is legal. Belkin tells me to get a router and my own network but I refuse to believe that is my only option. Any ideas?
    Dee
    deelacy, Feb 6, 2008
  17. sally

    sally Guest

    Well, i took the wireless network connection off the network bridge and now
    my wireless network is enabled and I was able to log onto the internet.
    "wow" I cannot believe it. Thank you so much.

    One question, the vpn shows as disconnected. What do you advise to allow
    the vpn connection? thank you for everything.

    sally, Feb 7, 2008
  18. sally

    Barb Bowman Guest

    glad you've made some progress. exactly what VPN are they using?

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 7, 2008