    The funny thing is my laptop always(!) connects to the Internet via the same
    connection.

    How can I stop the PC losing this connection with the modem?
    C Tate, Sep 25, 2004

  2. C Tate

    Quaoar Guest

    C Tate wrote:
    > We have a broadband connection and the PC connects wirelessly to a
    > wireless router. The modem is separate. The PC often seems to lose
    > contact with the modem, particularly if you restart the computer or
    > turn the modem on first. The only way to get it back is to restart
    > the computer, THEN restart the modem. Naturally this means you can't
    > get on the internet without a lot of restarting.
    >
    > The funny thing is my laptop always(!) connects to the Internet via
    > the same connection.
    >
    > How can I stop the PC losing this connection with the modem?

    First, leave the modem on. Your problems will disappear. If, however,
    you want to power down the modem, make sure that the router is powered
    down also. Power up the modem, and when it has completely booted, then
    power up the router. When the router has started, boot the computers.

    Also, if the OS is Windows XP, and you are using Wireless Zero
    Configuration, make sure that neither computer is auto-starting the
    vendor's wireless configuration utility. Start/Run command, type:
    msconfig[enterkey], Startup tab. Uncheck the box for the vendor's
    utility if it is there. WZC and the vendor utilities are mutually
    exclusive; it's one or the other, but not both.

    Quaoar, Sep 26, 2004