    is the one running XP)
    I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    this.

    noddy, Jun 23, 2006

  2. noddy

    J Brockley Guest

    "noddy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have two desktop pcs, one running win98(SE) the other Win XP Pro.
    > They are connected to each other and broadband internet via a router.
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop to connect wirelessly to this
    > network. (The computer that the laptop would be exchanging data with
    > is the one running XP)
    > I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    > this.

    Something like this?
    http://www.ow.com.au/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1153

    J Brockley, Jun 23, 2006

  3. noddy

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-06-23, noddy <> wrote:
    > I have two desktop pcs, one running win98(SE) the other Win XP Pro.
    > They are connected to each other and broadband internet via a router.
    > I am thinking of buying a laptop to connect wirelessly to this
    > network. (The computer that the laptop would be exchanging data with
    > is the one running XP)
    > I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    > this.

    either replace the router with one that does wireless (and also does
    everything you're using the current one for)

    or add a wireless bridge.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jun 23, 2006
  4. noddy

    noddy Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:59:43 +1200, "J Brockley"
    <> wrote:

    >"noddy" <> wrote in message
    >>I have two desktop pcs, one running win98(SE) the other Win XP Pro.
    >> They are connected to each other and broadband internet via a router.
    >> I am thinking of buying a laptop to connect wirelessly to this
    >> network. (The computer that the laptop would be exchanging data with
    >> is the one running XP)
    >> I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    >> this.

    >Something like this?
    >http://www.ow.com.au/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1153

    Thanks - Yes that is the sort of thing I had in mind, but I find all
    the options available a bit confusing. What I am asking for are
    specific suggestions on what I need.
    1 What I need to look for on any laptop I buy
    2 What I plug into the laptop to give it wireless capability
    3 Will I need anything apart from a wireless router to connect to my
    desktop?

    noddy, Jun 24, 2006
  5. noddy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    noddy <> wrote in news:doto92lesccvpea73vruvi0og8qs366c06@
    4ax.com:

    > 1 What I need to look for on any laptop I buy

    Wireless Ready 802.11g Centrino, something along those lines in the feature
    list.

    > 2 What I plug into the laptop to give it wireless capability

    Nothing, it should be built in to any new laptop.

    > 3 Will I need anything apart from a wireless router to connect to my
    > desktop?

    No, the access point is connected to the LAN / Router as if it was another
    computer, it then becomes a wireless networking cable to the laptop. You
    then setup the security and lock down the access point so that the kid next
    door does not steal your internet and give you a huge bill.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 24, 2006
  6. noddy

    noddy Guest

    On 24 Jun 2006 11:59:15 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >noddy <> wrote in news:doto92lesccvpea73vruvi0og8qs366c06@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> 1 What I need to look for on any laptop I buy

    >Wireless Ready 802.11g Centrino, something along those lines in the feature
    >list.
    >

    >> 2 What I plug into the laptop to give it wireless capability

    >Nothing, it should be built in to any new laptop.
    >

    >> 3 Will I need anything apart from a wireless router to connect to my
    >> desktop?

    >No, the access point is connected to the LAN / Router as if it was another
    >computer, it then becomes a wireless networking cable to the laptop. You
    >then setup the security and lock down the access point so that the kid next
    >door does not steal your internet and give you a huge bill.

    Thanks Dave this is very helpful.
    I should have asked a a couple more questions:

    4 How does the wireless router connect to my desktop pcs?
    Can I use ethernet cables like I have to my existing router or do I
    have to get wireless attachments for each pc?

    5 If I need additional wireless attachments for each pc then what
    sort of attachments should I get - internal cards or simply ones that
    plug into a usb port?

    noddy, Jun 24, 2006
  7. noddy

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:21:59 +1200, noddy wrote:

    > On 24 Jun 2006 11:59:15 +1200, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>noddy <> wrote in news:doto92lesccvpea73vruvi0og8qs366c06@
    >>4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> 1 What I need to look for on any laptop I buy

    >>Wireless Ready 802.11g Centrino, something along those lines in the feature
    >>list.
    >>

    >>> 2 What I plug into the laptop to give it wireless capability

    >>Nothing, it should be built in to any new laptop.
    >>

    >>> 3 Will I need anything apart from a wireless router to connect to my
    >>> desktop?

    >>No, the access point is connected to the LAN / Router as if it was another
    >>computer, it then becomes a wireless networking cable to the laptop. You
    >>then setup the security and lock down the access point so that the kid next
    >>door does not steal your internet and give you a huge bill.

    > Thanks Dave this is very helpful.
    > I should have asked a a couple more questions:
    >
    > 4 How does the wireless router connect to my desktop pcs?
    > Can I use ethernet cables like I have to my existing router or do I
    > have to get wireless attachments for each pc?

    If you're replacing your current router, then most new wireless routers
    have up to 4 wired ports as well. This is the simplest solution. The
    alternative is to plug an access point into your existing router. The
    downside of that will be that you'll have two separate devices that are
    acting as DHCP servers - the beasts that automatically set up your
    networking for you - and while it's not difficult to set this up to work
    correctly, I expect it's not something you ctually want to do!

    Once this is set up, there will be effectively no difference between the
    wired and wireless network, and you just need to join everything to the
    same workgroup and you're away.

    > 5 If I need additional wireless attachments for each pc then what sort
    > of attachments should I get - internal cards or simply ones that plug
    > into a usb port?

    Either work fine. Personally, I'd choose the cheapest, which are usually
    PCI cards at under $20 a shot. And they're harder to break :)

    Hth,

    Steve

    Steve, Jun 24, 2006
  8. noddy

    noddy Guest

    >Hth,
    >
    >Steve

    Thanks Steve - just what I needed to know.

    I wonder if anyone has any positive or negative recommendations for a
    wireless ready laptop and a wireless router ?

    noddy, Jun 24, 2006
  9. noddy

    noddy Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:43:04 -0000, jasen <> wrote:

    >On 2006-06-23, noddy <> wrote:
    >> I have two desktop pcs, one running win98(SE) the other Win XP Pro.
    >> They are connected to each other and broadband internet via a router.
    >> I am thinking of buying a laptop to connect wirelessly to this
    >> network. (The computer that the laptop would be exchanging data with
    >> is the one running XP)
    >> I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    >> this.

    >either replace the router with one that does wireless (and also does
    >everything you're using the current one for)
    >
    >or add a wireless bridge.

    Thanks Jasen - your suggestion prompted me to read up on wireless
    bridges and I have learnt quite a bit from that

    noddy, Jun 24, 2006
  10. noddy

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:09:46 +1200, noddy wrote:

    >>Hth,
    >>
    >>Steve

    > Thanks Steve - just what I needed to know.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone has any positive or negative recommendations for a
    > wireless ready laptop and a wireless router ?

    Just about all lappies now have wireless - 102.11g is now almost
    universal, but make sure the 'g' is there. That's the common fast option:
    802.11b is 11mbit, 11g is 54mbit and compatible with 11b, and 11a is
    54mbit, but on a higher frequency so you may find connectivity problems.

    As for the router, the last one I installed was a linksys combined
    ADSL/102.11bg wireless/4 port wired - can't remember the model but it's
    working fine. Plenty of people slag d-link off, but I've had no problems.

    Steve

    Steve, Jun 24, 2006
  11. noddy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:13:03 +1200, noddy wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:43:04 -0000, jasen <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-06-23, noddy <> wrote:
    >>> I have two desktop pcs, one running win98(SE) the other Win XP Pro.
    >>> They are connected to each other and broadband internet via a router.
    >>> I am thinking of buying a laptop to connect wirelessly to this
    >>> network. (The computer that the laptop would be exchanging data with
    >>> is the one running XP)
    >>> I would be grateful for suggestions as to the best way of going about
    >>> this.

    >>either replace the router with one that does wireless (and also does
    >>everything you're using the current one for)
    >>
    >>or add a wireless bridge.

    > Thanks Jasen - your suggestion prompted me to read up on wireless
    > bridges and I have learnt quite a bit from that

    Ah, but do you not want a wireless Access Point? Remember that wireless is
    only a method/way of networking. As in done without wires.

    Gordon, Jun 24, 2006
  12. noddy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:09:46 +1200, noddy wrote:

    >>Hth,
    >>
    >>Steve

    > Thanks Steve - just what I needed to know.
    >
    > I wonder if anyone has any positive or negative recommendations for a
    > wireless ready laptop and a wireless router ?

    Any new one. They all work fine. Nevertheless security is at the top of
    the list. Get one which does WPA-PSK if possible.

    As another poster has hinted at wireless networks are worse than the
    village bicycle for been riden upon. The bill is not the worst thing. A
    person unkown could send all sorts of nasty e-mails, for instance from
    you. And they would be from you in court.

    Gentle reader, please read up upon wireless security if you have one. One
    might like to read Caution! Wireless Networking. Preventing a data
    disaster by Jack McCullough. ISBN 0-7645-7213-X. If ound this an
    interesting and enlighting book. http://www.fishpond.co.nz was the source
    I obtained it from.

    I have no $ interest in this company. The need to keep the underisables at
    bay is far mor important.

    Gordon, Jun 24, 2006
  13. noddy

    noddy Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:22:40 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:13:03 +1200, noddy wrote:

    >>>either replace the router with one that does wireless (and also does
    >>>everything you're using the current one for)
    >>>
    >>>or add a wireless bridge.

    >> Thanks Jasen - your suggestion prompted me to read up on wireless
    >> bridges and I have learnt quite a bit from that

    >Ah, but do you not want a wireless Access Point? Remember that wireless is
    >only a method/way of networking. As in done without wires.

    Not wanting an access point was one of the things I learnt :)
    Thanks for your advice Gordon. I will heed it !!

    noddy, Jun 25, 2006
  14. noddy

    shannon Guest

    noddy wrote:
    > On 24 Jun 2006 11:59:15 +1200, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> noddy <> wrote in news:doto92lesccvpea73vruvi0og8qs366c06@
    >> 4ax.com:
    >>
    >>> 1 What I need to look for on any laptop I buy

    >> Wireless Ready 802.11g Centrino, something along those lines in the feature
    >> list.
    >>

    >>> 2 What I plug into the laptop to give it wireless capability

    >> Nothing, it should be built in to any new laptop.
    >>

    >>> 3 Will I need anything apart from a wireless router to connect to my
    >>> desktop?

    >> No, the access point is connected to the LAN / Router as if it was another
    >> computer, it then becomes a wireless networking cable to the laptop. You
    >> then setup the security and lock down the access point so that the kid next
    >> door does not steal your internet and give you a huge bill.

    > Thanks Dave this is very helpful.
    > I should have asked a a couple more questions:
    >
    > 4 How does the wireless router connect to my desktop pcs?
    > Can I use ethernet cables like I have to my existing router or do I
    > have to get wireless attachments for each pc?
    >
    > 5 If I need additional wireless attachments for each pc then what
    > sort of attachments should I get - internal cards or simply ones that
    > plug into a usb port?

    Wireless USB dongles are very handy.
    I have an access point/router at home, and pdas, media players and
    several laptops connected through it but when I am at my mates place I
    plug a usb wifi dongle into his desktop and use XPs network bridging to
    connect to his adsl to provide a connection to my laptops built in wifi.
    Its an adhoc connection though, so you can only do the one connection.
    To do more than one you need an access point.

    shannon, Jun 25, 2006