Wireless connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Duncan Jones, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Duncan Jones

    Duncan Jones Guest

    Hi,

    I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
    A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
    wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
    which manages to reconnect it every time.

    The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
    tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
    disconnecting irregularly during the day.

    Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
    connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
    odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
    that automatically?

    Thanks in advance,

    Duncan Jones

    (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

    Duncan Jones, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Make sure IEEE authentication is NOT checked.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Duncan Jones

    Duncan Jones Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Make sure IEEE authentication is NOT checked.
    >
    > "Duncan Jones" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
    > > A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
    > > wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
    > > which manages to reconnect it every time.
    > >
    > > The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
    > > tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
    > > disconnecting irregularly during the day.
    > >
    > > Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
    > > connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
    > > odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
    > > that automatically?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Duncan Jones
    > >
    > > (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

    Ok, I've had a look at that at it wasn't checked in the first place.
    Any other suggestions?

    Duncan Jones, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Duncan Jones

    Ted Guest

    "Duncan Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running windows XP and my wireless connection keeps disconnecting.
    > A message balloon pops up saying something like "could not connect to
    > wireless network". The only way to solve this is to click "repair",
    > which manages to reconnect it every time.
    >
    > The Linksys support suggests it may be 2.4Ghz interference, but I've
    > tried switching channels on the router to no avail. It keeps
    > disconnecting irregularly during the day.
    >
    > Any ideas of how to solve this?? I'm letting XP handle this wireless
    > connection, so I'm not using any linksys software... It just seems
    > odd that repairing the connection works every time - why can't XP do
    > that automatically?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Duncan Jones
    >
    > (using a LinkSys WUSB54G network adaptor)

    I switched to a Zonet ZEW2500P from my Linksys WUSB11 and no more disconnect
    problems. Available at Newegg.com. Only $27.
    Tec

    Ted, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Duncan Jones

    WLW Guest

    You may want to take a look at

    http://www.ezine.com/QandA/NoWireless.shtml

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Mar 28, 2005
  6. I have a Linksys brand also and was having this trouble. I changed my
    laptop(or the system that's wired) to a static IP address and this helped fix
    it.

    =?Utf-8?B?dHVkZXNraQ==?=, Mar 29, 2005