Wireless connection keeps dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by rf1908, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. rf1908

    rf1908 Guest

    We have 4 Linksys WAP's configured to use Radius Authentication to
    connect to our wireless network. We are also using PEAP and
    certificates for authentication. We can get connected to the wireless
    network, but it keeps dropping the connection, and sometimes takes
    awhile to get reconnected. I am wondering if anyone has seen this
    happen before, or knows what might be causing it.
     
    rf1908, Jun 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. rf1908

    Guest

    On 21-Jun-2006, "rf1908" <> wrote:

    > We can get connected to the wireless
    > network, but it keeps dropping the connection, and sometimes takes
    > awhile to get reconnected. I am wondering if anyone has seen this
    > happen before, or knows what might be causing it.


    Could be a signal strength issue, antennas integral with cards
    may be screened by the case and not optimally located.
    Static configuration often improves things over using
    Zero Config.
    Just my experience with wireless.
     
    , Jun 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. rf1908

    rf1908 Guest

    I know were you are coming with on this, but it does not appear to be a
    signal strength issue. Everywhere we go in the office we have at
    minimum good signal strength. I can take my laptop out of the office
    and connect and stay connected to any other wireless network. My
    concern is that it is a problem with the radius authentication.


    wrote:
    > On 21-Jun-2006, "rf1908" <> wrote:
    >
    > > We can get connected to the wireless
    > > network, but it keeps dropping the connection, and sometimes takes
    > > awhile to get reconnected. I am wondering if anyone has seen this
    > > happen before, or knows what might be causing it.

    >
    > Could be a signal strength issue, antennas integral with cards
    > may be screened by the case and not optimally located.
    > Static configuration often improves things over using
    > Zero Config.
    > Just my experience with wireless.
     
    rf1908, Jun 22, 2006
    #3
  4. rf1908

    Guest

    On 22-Jun-2006, "rf1908" <> wrote:

    > I know were you are coming with on this, but it does not appear to be a
    > signal strength issue. Everywhere we go in the office we have at
    > minimum good signal strength. I can take my laptop out of the office
    > and connect and stay connected to any other wireless network. My
    > concern is that it is a problem with the radius authentication.


    Well my thoughts are that radius relates to dial-up authentication
    and service billing. It is robust if there are no delays or errors that
    require retransmissions. With a wireless connection involved it is
    frequently less than the solid connection you get with wired ethernet,
    although wired ethernet can give similar problems when the collision
    rate rises on heavily loaded networks. In my own case I note that
    although wireless signal level is good, signal quality is somewhat
    less than 100%, due I assume to multi-path reflections, and the fact
    that I need to use a reflector to boost the signal strength. But it works ok.
    Before adding the reflector plus using static addressing the connection
    kept stalling, replace the wireless link with a long length of CAT5,
    no stalling.
    So my conclusions were that wireless can have some issues with some
    protocols, though I didn't dig too deep into DHCP where addresses are
    leased, and over a flaky (wireless) connection, the leased address renewal
    may fall over. I just switched to static addressing, which is easy to
    configure, as well as giving access to the USB wireless adapters utilities,
    which I don't get with Zero Config.
    I would mention that with a D-Link adapter under the same conditions
    it stalls all the time, with a ZyDAS based USB adapter it works fine,
    so not all adapters are the same. I also found that PC cases, metal
    desks, any metallic objects can take out a lot of the signal, which
    is why I went USB adapter, I found cards and laptop wireless adapters
    can give problems, ok when close to the access point, but fall
    off (or should it be fall over) as range increases.
    Wireless still has to handle collisions, plus nearby adapters (in
    urban areas on the same or competeing channels), plus interference
    sources, multi-path reflections. Small point to point (domestic)
    connections can be reliable and rock solid, but the system, unless
    well planned, may not scale up very well, the many users and high traffic
    loading situations.
    I don't think I'd want to try wireless for say 20 users in an office
    environment, CAT5 would be a safer bet, even against the
    argument that CAT5 is expensive to install.
     
    , Jun 22, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2h1eA==?=

    Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping Out

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2h1eA==?=, Dec 7, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    22,513
    andre
    Dec 15, 2004
  2. Duncan Jones

    Wireless connection keeps dropping

    Duncan Jones, Mar 27, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    18,186
    =?Utf-8?B?dHVkZXNraQ==?=
    Mar 29, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?c3Nw?=

    Wireless connection keeps dropping off

    =?Utf-8?B?c3Nw?=, Nov 30, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    17,395
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows
    Dec 1, 2005
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,013
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jan 7, 2007
  5. mentalguy2004

    Wireless connection keeps dropping

    mentalguy2004, Apr 5, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    620
    Meat Plow
    Apr 6, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page