    the IP address of the laptop, will I have go into the router and specify that
    address as part of the setup?

    Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me off"
    Mike254, May 29, 2009

  2. Mike254

    Lem Guest

    Mike254 wrote:
    > I have a home networks set up with Linksys WRT45G router tied to a DSL modem.
    > I have a desktop computer that I connected "wired" to the router and a
    > laptop that I connect "wireless" to the router. My desktop works great all
    > the time and never have problems connecting to the internet.
    >
    > However on my laptop, even though the signal strength is "very strong", I
    > keep getting kicked off the internet and have to use "network repair" to
    > reattach. It tells me that it is "waiting for an IP address".
    >
    > Any thoughts on how to correct?
    >
    > If I were to "fix" IP address on the laptop, would that help? And if I fix
    > the IP address of the laptop, will I have go into the router and specify that
    > address as part of the setup?
    >
    > Or is there a way on the router to prevent the router from "kicking me off"

    Assuming that you can successfully connect to your wireless network at
    least some of the time, the most likely cause of your problem is
    interference, either from nearby wireless networks or nearby electronic
    devices.

    Is your router and/or laptop near a microwave oven, wireless baby
    monitor, cordless telephone, or other wireless device?

    Go into your router's configuration utility, click the "wireless" tab
    and then on the "Basic Wireless Settings" page, take a look at the
    "Wireless Channel" setting. Although you have the choice of from 1 to
    11 there is some overlap and for best results nearby wireless networks
    should use channels as far apart as possible. The usual default is
    channel 6 or 7. If that's what yours is set to, change it to 1 or 11.
    If you still have problems using channel 1, try channel 11.

    Or, if you don't want to guess, download and install Netstumbler (on
    your wireless laptop) and see what other wireless networks are nearby.
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, May 30, 2009

  3. Hi
    In addition take also a look at the Power Saving setting of the Wireless
    card.
    Try to configure it Not to save Power and see if it helps.
    Some Wireless cards once they lap into Power Saving Mode get lazy and do not
    want to start working again, ;)
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 30, 2009
  4. Mike254

    Mike254 Guest

    Jack and Lem,

    Thanks for the great ideas on how to troubleshoot the cause of my problem.
    Actually interference might be a problem. I am just checking my post today.
    I hope to have a chance to try out your ideas tomorrow. Today I am pretty
    busy. Will let you know what happens.

    Just one question to both of you, do you think that using a "static" IP
    address is a good idea. I know if I do that, I need to go back to "auto" if
    I ever use it on another network, but the only place I use it is at home. So
    would a "static" IP make it a more stable connection? BTW, both computers
    run XP.

    Mike254, May 30, 2009
  5. Hi
    There are few pro and con to static IP.
    Performance wise it does not matter. If there is trouble at times a none
    static IP is easier to handle.
    Since it take less than a minute to change the configuration, let it ride
    with Static IP. If it works better for you keep using it.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 31, 2009