Wireless connection getting 169.254.xx ip after new installation

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmFuZw==?=, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. Hello There,

    Could you please help me here. I have WLAN connection which I was using on 2
    laptops since last 3 months. On one laptop I recently re-installed XP.
    Hardware and driver installtions are back in place properly. On Laptop 2 I am
    able to connect with WLAN perfectly but not from 1.

    LAN is working properly but WLAN says "Limied or no connectivity". On giving
    "repair" option, It takes much time and says "Following action could not be
    completed --> "Renewing your IP".

    When I am looking in STATUS--> SUPPORT --> Details then IP address is
    wrongly assigned to 169.254.182.243 and subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and rest
    others are blank.

    WLAN is Broadcom 802.11 b/g

    I already tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands

    but not fixed. I am just fade up of attemting all different ways but that
    169.254.x.x is not at all moving away from there.

    Please help.

    Same connection I am able to connect by LAN.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmFuZw==?=, Feb 11, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmFuZw==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    My guess is you have a security problem. I don't know what kind of security
    you are using, but look at the password, often you need top enter the hex
    value and not the actual password. You are not meeting the security
    requirements of the router, and the router is not giving out an IP address.
    You may need to redo the security settings for your network. Be sure your
    laptop supports the security of the router. This page may help

    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Re: Wireless connection getting 169.254.xx ip after new installati

    Hello David,

    Thanks for reply. Well, going ahead with this issue. I checked what you said
    in your mail. But I think there is some other issue,
    I am using WZC to manage my WLAN connection and this uses,
    Network Authentication : WPA-PSK
    Data Encryption : TKIP

    After getting your reply, I immediately checked, on other computer (On which
    WLAN is working fine) all security parameters. It is all the same. Even I
    disconnected WLAN completely from PC2 (Even from preferred network list) and
    gave fresh start. In WZC of PC2, I gave the password as like in PC 1
    (unencypted) and it was accepted by router.

    As you said most of the time you need to give Hexa password but, here I
    think system itself is converting to CHAR value to Hexa.

    A scenario I would like to mention here. During my initial attempt to fix
    this problem, I reset my router completely once. But even on the open netword
    (Un-secured) it was not able to connect and same problem was appearing.

    Kindly analyze the issue further. Let me know, what else info I could give
    you.

    Many Thanks, Gaurang

    =?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmFuZw==?=, Feb 11, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmFuZw==?=

    Lem Guest

    Gaurang wrote:
> [...]
    >>> am
    >>> able to connect with WLAN perfectly but not from 1.
    >>>
    >>> LAN is working properly but WLAN says "Limied or no connectivity". On
    >>> giving
    >>> "repair" option, It takes much time and says "Following action could not
    >>> be
    >>> completed --> "Renewing your IP".
    >>>
    >>> When I am looking in STATUS--> SUPPORT --> Details then IP address is
    >>> wrongly assigned to 169.254.182.243 and subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and
    >>> rest
    >>> others are blank.
    >>>
    >>> WLAN is Broadcom 802.11 b/g
    >>>
    >>> I already tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands
    >>>
    >>> but not fixed. I am just fade up of attemting all different ways but that
    >>> 169.254.x.x is not at all moving away from there.
    >>>
    >>> Please help.
    >>>
    >>> Same connection I am able to connect by LAN.

    The symptom of your problem is that the laptop is not obtaining an IP
    address from the DHCP server in the router. Because the other laptop
    does obtain an IP address, at least you know that the problem is not
    caused by the DHCP server being turned off.

    There are several possibilities for this issue, an improper encryption
    key (as David suggested) being probably one of the more common.

    Perhaps the radio in your laptop's wifi adapter is turned off. Can you
    "view wireless networks" and see at least your router's SSID? If not,
    look for a physical switch or read your laptop User Guide to find the
    Fn+Fkey combination that turns the radio on and off.

    It's possible, although not likely, that you have MAC filtering set in
    addition to encryption and that this is causing the problem. I say this
    is unlikely because the MAC address of your wifi adapter will not have
    changed with the reinstall of XP. Thus, even if you have MAC filtering
    enabled in the router, the MAC address of your wifi adapter should still
    be on the "allow" list.

    Make sure to temporarily disable all software firewalls, including
    anti-virus applications with "internet worm protection."

    If you can successfully connect to the router with an Ethernet cable,
    you know that the issue is not something like a corrupted Winsock or
    TCP/IP stack. Be aware that firewalls can be configured separately for
    separate network adapters, so just because the LAN connection works OK
    does not necessarily mean that there is not a firewall issue on the
    wireless adapter.

    If none of the above work, try MVP Hans Georg Michna's network trouble
    shooter, which will help you pinpoint the problem in a methodical way --
    if you answer all of the questions accurately: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Feb 11, 2007