    annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.
    Thanks,
    Alice

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=, Mar 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=

    WLW Guest

    Hi, Alice -

    You probably should not run Windows Firewall and McAfee Personal Firewall at
    the same time, that may cause problems. Even though McAfee Personal Firewall
    instructions say you do not have to disable Windows Firewall, Microsoft
    recommends that if you are using another Firewall product then you should
    turn off the Windows Firewall.

    If the problem started when McAfee Security Center was loaded, that is a
    good indicator that McAfee may not be configured properly. Make sure that
    you have the most up-to-date versions of the McAfee software and make sure
    the settings are correct. You may even want to try disabling or removing
    McAfee Security Center. You should be able to run McAfee Personal Firewall
    without Security Center.

    Go through your McAfee Personal Firewall settings and make sure there is
    nothing obvious there that might be interfering with the wireless. Turn on
    event logging in McAfee Personal Firewall and see if it logs any specific
    events when you lose connectivity.

    If you cannot find the problem then go to McAfee tech support and see if
    they are familiar with the problem:

    http://WWW.McAfeeHelp.Com/

    HTH,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Actually, I uninstalled the McAfee, as I stated. That was how I got the
    wireless back in action but I can't keep it in action. The "Let Windows
    Configure My Wireless Connection" box keeps unchecking itself.
    Alice

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=, Mar 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    Generally there is No relation between Establishing Wireless Connection, and
    Firewall, AntiVirus software.

    I am not familiar with your security suite per-se. Unfortunately some of the
    comprehensive Security suits take the liberty of making changes that might
    negatively affect the Network setting and might stay even after the suit is
    Uninstalled.

    In such a situation I uninstall the suit, disable Windows Zero Configuration
    (WZC) and try to revive the Wireless by using the original Manufacturer
    utility. Once it is working them I would disable the manufacturer utility
    from starting up automatically and switch back WZC.

    May be this can Help.

    Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Wireless, Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Assemble Freeware Security Suit for Internet Connection:
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 23, 2005
  5. Thanks very much. That answers my question. The first url tells me what I
    need to do. Again, thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=, Mar 23, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWxpY2VI?=

    Gary Smith Guest

    AliceH <> wrote:
    > I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
    > reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee Security
    > center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I uninstalled
    > privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I am
    > running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of inactivity we
    > lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless connections
    > and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why does the
    > checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
    > annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.

    I had a similar-sounding problem with a Linksys USB Network Adapter on a
    machine running XP with SP2. After the system was idle for a while, the
    connection would drop and sometimes could be re-established only by
    rebooting the system. The problem cleared up when I completely disabled
    the Linksys software and enabled the Windows Zero Configuration function.

    --
    Gary L. Smith
    Columbus, Ohio

    Gary Smith, Mar 24, 2005