Wireless connection drops when connected via Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by syscontacts.uk@rga.com, Jul 19, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have a laptop setup with XPSP2 that connects can connect to both a
    wired and wireless network.
    If i log onto the laptop locally the connection to the wireless is
    fine. However if I RDP to the laptop the Wireless connection shows
    "Limited or no connectivity".

    The strange thing is, if a user is logged onto the laptop and the
    wireless connection is established when I RDP to it; the wirless
    connection works fine.
    If the laptop is at the logon screen when I RDP to it, the wireless
    connection never gets established.

    Any thoughts?

    Many thanks
    Manfred

    , Jul 19, 2007

  2. The wireless connection (unlike a wired connection) is part of the user
    session. That means the user must be logged in for it to work. This is why
    Lapptops on a Windows Domain have to be connected by hard wire the first
    time a new user gets on the laptop so that it can create/cache the user's
    profile,...after that they log in with the cached profile and then activate
    the wireless connection after they are in.

    If you RDP into the machine you are in a different user session and the
    wireless connection cannot "double up" and run under two different user
    sessions at the same time. DHCP has already give that MAC address and IP# in
    the previous user session. You can RDP into the machine using the same user
    credentials and get the same "desktop" as the currently logged in
    user,...but I am not entirely sure if that lets you take over the existing
    "session" or if it creates a new one.

    VNC, PCAnywhere, possibly GoToMy PC,... may be a better Remote Control
    solution than Remote Desktop in this particular case.

    That is the best guess I can make of this situation anyway.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 19, 2007