Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different computers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have a wireless network set up, used to have a NetGear G wireless router,
    and now have the new Linksys N router. I have 4 different computers, two
    desktops with the Microsoft USB G adaptor, one Acer with internal Centrino
    and a Sony with internal centrino. Wired connections work perfectly when
    using both routers.

    This is the problem: when wireless works, it works fine, but connections
    seem to drop intermittently. I switched the channels used on the new Linksys
    around, and used the new 'Wide' 40MHz channel settings, and wireless was fine
    for over a day, but now connections are dropping again. It's not a problem of
    computers I dont think, because the problem occurs with 4 different computers
    (although at *slightly* different time intervals): the wireless connection is
    dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is to
    reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to work.
    As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two
    different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but distance
    does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.

    any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce
    interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in order
    to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the option of
    wireless 802.11a with its different band?

    ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

    thank you,

    RG

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=, Jul 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

    Gary Karasik Guest

    What works for me is a little .BAT file on the desktop that has the lines

    net stop "wireless zero configuration"
    net start "wireless zero configuration"

    I've trained my users to double-click that when they discover a dropped
    connection.

    --

    GaryK

    Gary Karasik, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Re: Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different comput

    but is there a reason to determine the reason for the dropped connections in
    the first place? I mean..this isnt a once-a-month occurence, more like a
    few-times-per-day occurence. Any 'quick fix' would be inconvenient and I'd
    rather solve the problem itself, if possible, or at least figure out what it
    is..

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Re: Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different comput

    Restarting the windows wireless zero configuration utility (or stopping then
    starting it, as you suggest), does not make the access point reappear. It
    seems that the only way to make it reappear is to reset or restart the
    router.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=, Jul 8, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

    Guest

    On 8-Jul-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?= <> wrote:

    > but is there a reason to determine the reason for the dropped connections in
    > the first place? I mean..this isnt a once-a-month occurence, more like a
    > few-times-per-day occurence. Any 'quick fix' would be inconvenient and I'd
    > rather solve the problem itself, if possible, or at least figure out what it
    > is..

    Have you tried static IP addresses? It may be a DHCP lease time,
    or renewal problem. It's easy to get rid of Zero Config, which comes
    from the same MS$ stable as the unreliable Plug and Pray). Try it
    on one PC first, no changes at the router are needed.
    With Zero Config out of the picture you should have access to
    the adapters mfrs. utility showing signal strength and quality.
    Of course the problem might be interference, which can take
    out all channels, in urban areas most of the conflicting
    channels are in use and cell phones are everywhere.
    Netstumbler (on some UK PC mags DVD issue cover disks)
    will show what's around you, what channel they are using,
    signal strength and S/N ratio.

    , Jul 8, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

    Gary Karasik Guest

    Re: Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different comput

    Sorry that didn't work for you.

    I have noticed at some locations that these wireless devices are prone to
    getting scrambled by electrical glitches--momentary undervoltages and high
    electrical noise levels.

    --

    GaryK

    Gary Karasik, Jul 8, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

    Jim Guest

    Re: Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different comput

    Have you tried every channel to see if this fixes your problem? If
    there is an electrical inteference, this may help, what is the
    transmitt speed your workstations set at? May try lowering the
    transmit speed to test as well.

    Cheers,
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 10, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

    WDW

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I've had a similar problem with 2 different models of D-Link USB adapter and 1 Netgear USB adapter on 2 different computers. It loses the connection then doesn't recognize the adapter and shows unknown device or mass media storage device instead.

    Have you tried a PCI adapter?

    WDW, Aug 29, 2007