    the "Wireless Connection" dialog to click 'Connect'.
    Why is the connection getting dropped?
    Thanks for any advice...
    Schemer, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Schemer

    Malke Guest

    Schemer wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I've just re-installed WinXP Pro and the driver for my wireless
    > networking. It seems the connection times out; every few minutes I get
    > a pop-up saying a wireless connection was detected, and I have to
    > click on the balloon to get the "Wireless Connection" dialog to click
    > 'Connect'. Why is the connection getting dropped?
    > Thanks for any advice...

    You didn't give us any details about your wireless such as hardware or
    whether you are using the wireless adapter software or Windows wireless
    management so getting specific answers isn't possible. Here are a few
    things to check:

    1. Make sure you are using the most recent drivers. Get them from the
    device mftr.'s website.

    2. Turn off power management on the wireless adapter. Do this from
    Device Manager (or the option might be in the wireless adapter software
    if you are using it).

    3. Make sure your SSID is not set to the router default ("Linksys" for
    ex.). If you didn't change this, it is possible that you are really
    connecting to a neighbor's network - a neighbor who also didn't change
    his SSID from the default. Do this from the router configuration
    screen.

    4. Change the wireless channel from the default. If you have it on 6,
    change it to 11 for ex. Do this from the router configuration screen.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Schemer

    Schemer Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    > You didn't give us any details about your wireless such as hardware or
    > whether you are using the wireless adapter software or Windows wireless
    > management so getting specific answers isn't possible.

    Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI, Windows wireless mgmt.

    > 1. Make sure you are using the most recent drivers. Get them from the
    > device mftr.'s website.

    Checked.

    > 2. Turn off power management on the wireless adapter. Do this from
    > Device Manager (or the option might be in the wireless adapter software
    > if you are using it).

    Turned off.

    > 3. Make sure your SSID is not set to the router default ("Linksys" for
    > ex.). If you didn't change this, it is possible that you are really
    > connecting to a neighbor's network - a neighbor who also didn't change
    > his SSID from the default. Do this from the router configuration
    > screen.

    Set to new number.

    > 4. Change the wireless channel from the default. If you have it on 6,
    > change it to 11 for ex. Do this from the router configuration screen.

    Done on the wireless connection properties; couldn't find where to do it on
    the router.

    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the connection is still getting
    dropped.
    Schemer, Jun 27, 2006
  4. Schemer

    Malke Guest

    Schemer wrote:

    > >3. Make sure your SSID is not set to the router default ("Linksys"

    >Set to new number.

    You mean set to new name? The SSID is usually a name, although I suppose
    you could use numbers.

    > Done on the wireless connection properties; couldn't find where to do
    > it on the router.

    Since I don't know what router you have, I can't help you there. On my
    Linksys wireless access point it is in the same place as the SSID,
    right under it.

    > Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the connection is still
    > getting dropped.

    If you are using Dell's wireless manager, then use Windows and vice
    versa.

    Malke
    Malke, Jun 27, 2006
  5. "Schemer" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the connection is still
    > getting
    > dropped.

    Do you have a firewall on other than the XP one, that may be interfering? If
    so, disable it and test again.

    Also, to change the channel on your router, you seem to know how to logon to
    it. Go through either each page slowly looking for channel number or to your
    manual to find it. You WILL find it that way.

    One other thing - check for other wireless setups that your computer can
    receive. See what channels they are on. If they are using 6, 11 and so on
    and every other thing in the world available to you, then you may have to
    consider other alternatives. If you are using an open network without at
    LEAST WEP on it, then you may have someone nearby playing tricks on you so
    consider putting on encryption.

    Next - is the wall power constant where you are? If it is like where I am
    and can fluctuate in a high wind, you may actually be having the router drop
    out and come back. If that is the case, consider plugging the router in to a
    UPS.

    What STRENGTH of signal is being reported? If it is very low then that can
    be the real reason why. You may be getting interference somewhere that is
    causing signal strength drop off.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jun 28, 2006