    like XP just gives up on the thing, I cant find anything obviously wrong in
    network settings, and in any case why would it wrk for a while then stop? Any
    ideas would be appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Hi

    Make sure that the power saving feature of the Wireless is Disabled (look at
    the card properties).

    Wireless source (I.e. Router/AP) has to be configured with SSID On.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

    Alan Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Make sure that the power saving feature of the Wireless is Disabled (look at
    > the card properties).
    >
    > Wireless source (I.e. Router/AP) has to be configured with SSID On.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Brad" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a laptop with Ethernet and Wireless. Ethernet works fine. When I
    >> plug
    >> the USB Wireless adapter in, that also works fine for a while then "dies".
    >> typical scenario is as follows:--I have been using the computer on teh
    >> ethernet LAn all day (either at home or in the office, doesn't matter),
    >> then
    >> I unplug and move the computer to a ifferent room with no ethernet port so
    >> decide to plug in the USB wireless adapter to check my emails, browse the
    >> web
    >> etc. This seems to work for a while (say half to one hour), then I lose
    >> the
    >> internet connection. Signal strength is perfect on the wireless side.
    >> Seems
    >> like XP just gives up on the thing, I cant find anything obviously wrong
    >> in
    >> network settings, and in any case why would it wrk for a while then stop?
    >> Any
    >> ideas would be appreciated.

    Jack,

    Re your comment regarding "SSID = On" as a fix for connections
    that get dropped. Do you have a source for this idea? I'm
    trying to understand why the wireless PC would not stay connected
    if the network connection identifies the SSID and it is the
    preferred net.
    There are a lot of users who for security reasons don't want to
    broadcast the SSID (me for instance) even though encryption is
    being used.

    Alan, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Hi
    Disabling SSID, would my Wireless System be more secure?
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 5, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

    Alan Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Disabling SSID, would my Wireless System be more secure?
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Make sure that the power saving feature of the Wireless is Disabled (look
    >>> at the card properties).
    >>>
    >>> Wireless source (I.e. Router/AP) has to be configured with SSID On.
    >>>
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>> "Brad" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Jack,
    >>
    >> Re your comment regarding "SSID = On" as a fix for connections that get
    >> dropped. Do you have a source for this idea? I'm trying to understand
    >> why the wireless PC would not stay connected if the network connection
    >> identifies the SSID and it is the preferred net.
    >> There are a lot of users who for security reasons don't want to broadcast
    >> the SSID (me for instance) even though encryption is being used.

    Grazie.

    Alan, Sep 5, 2006
  6. I am in Australia so we have a time zone and dateline difference. I will try
    your suggestions when I get home this evening.

    Regards, Brad

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=, Sep 6, 2006