Wireless connection corrupted during failed install

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by barthome1@comcast.net, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I ran into a problem while trying to install a new version of VMWARE.
    The install crashed and somehow both my ethernet connection and the
    wireless connection was removed from the "Network Connections" page.

    To re-add my ethernet connection, I unistalled the driver for the
    network adapter in the Device Manager. Then when Windows XP
    reinstalled the driver, it added the connection to Network
    Connections.

    My problem is the wireless connection. When I try to uninstall the
    driver for the wireless adapter, the process hangs and never
    finishes. The same thing occurs when I try to update the driver.
    Device Manager says that the wireless adapter is working properly.

    So is there a way to force an uninstall of the wireless driver or to
    manually add the wireless connection?

    Bart
    , Jun 3, 2008

  2. Hi
    Some drivers come together with the Wireless utility, uninstall the utility
    (if there is one) and the drivers.
    If it is a laptop disable physically the wireless card (switch or function
    key), if it is a Desktop take the Wireless card out.
    Reboot and run one time without the Wireless card, and then try to reinstall
    again,
    I am not sure about the current VMWare, but VPCs usually see the Wireless as
    regular Network card on the host computer and treats it as a virtual wired
    card.
    I.e. it is not installed as Wireless on the VPC.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 4, 2008

  3. Guest

    I tried what you suggested and the uninstall or update of the driver
    still hangs.

    Anything else I can do?

    Bart
    , Jun 4, 2008
  4. tg Guest

    <> wrote in message

    boot into safe mode
    uninstall ALL: the network hardware in safe mode, make sure its all gone.
    take all the network hardware physically outta the machine - if it's integrated turn it
    off in the bios
    delete any and all folders created by the previous installation process.
    reboot into normal mode
    scan your computer with spybot 152 and adaware 2008, uninstall any other shit you're not
    using.
    reboot into safe mode
    reinstall service pack 2 (or 3 if that's where you were)
    reboot into normal mode
    re-install your network hardware one by one. Don't use CD's - get the latest drivers from
    the manufacturers website.

    if that doesn't work, format the hard drive and rebuild windows from scratch and don't
    install hardware with CD's - get the latest drivers from websites.
    tg, Jun 5, 2008
  5. Pavel A. Guest

    Have you tried the safe mode?
    As Jack suggested, the hang can be caused by 3rd party software (and I'd
    add, it could cause the vmware crash as well).

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 6, 2008