wireless connection and packet loss problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike S, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    I have been having problems establishing my first wireless network. My
    win98SE has a Netwave PCI adapter and it connects to my Belkin F5D6230-3
    Cable Gateway/Router. I also have a Win2000 PC connected to one of the
    ethernet ports of the router. The router is connected to my Broadband modem.
    My hard wire connected PC accesses the the router and internet with no
    problems. I have checked everything, NAT enabled on the router, DHCP enabled
    on the client. SSID and channel synchronized, WEP/encryption disabled for
    now on both, everything is set up right. I see a connection, my wireless
    client receives IP 192.168.2.13 from Router 192.168.2.1. I even unplugged
    and took the batteries out of my 2.4 Ghz cordless phone. When I click on a
    website I get site found, connecting, and webpage opening, in the status
    bar. No data except 1 or 2Kbps every now and then, occurring even when the
    signal is good, 90-100%. All that being, said I jumped into the "Ping" arena
    and pinged my router from my ethernet connected PC and had 1ms response and
    0% packet loss. I pinged my wireless PC from my ethernet connected PC and
    2ms response with no packet loss. When I pinged the gateway router from my
    wireless Win98SE PC, I had numerous timeouts with a 45% packet loss. In each
    case I pinged with 20 56 byte packets. I have more info than I really need,
    but I'm not sure what it means. Both router and adapter have the latest
    firmware. Both are new. I suspect it's the adapter, that I bought online for
    $17, but is there any way to tell, or have I already determined that? Any
    thoughts suggestions or comments appreciated.

    Thanks
    --
    Mike S
    remove nospam to reply