Wireless connected ... can't ping

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Simon Woods, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Hi

    I've a soho

    1 wired pc to network hub
    3 wireless pcs to network hub

    I've just done a re-install of one of the wireless PC's and now I can't
    get it to join the network.

    The hub is working fine as a dhcp server assigning IP addresses to all
    the other machines.

    As well as trying to use DCHP, I've tried hardcoding an ip address with
    default gateway onto it but although it takes (when I check ipconfig) it
    still can't see any other machines on my network.

    My address range is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0) upwards

    I can ping the networked machines from each other fine.

    I can see the wireless hub as well from the machine which I can't get to
    join the network (at the mac level) but I think it's the IP level I must
    be overlooking something

    I've tried ip_config/release etc but it won't take

    Any suggestions

    Thanks

    Simon
    Simon Woods, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Simon Woods wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've a soho
    >
    > 1 wired pc to network hub
    > 3 wireless pcs to network hub
    >
    > I've just done a re-install of one of the wireless PC's and now I can't
    > get it to join the network.
    >
    > The hub is working fine as a dhcp server assigning IP addresses to all
    > the other machines.
    >
    > As well as trying to use DCHP, I've tried hardcoding an ip address with
    > default gateway onto it but although it takes (when I check ipconfig) it
    > still can't see any other machines on my network.
    >
    > My address range is 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0) upwards
    >
    > I can ping the networked machines from each other fine.
    >
    > I can see the wireless hub as well from the machine which I can't get to
    > join the network (at the mac level) but I think it's the IP level I must
    > be overlooking something
    >
    > I've tried ip_config/release etc but it won't take
    >
    > Any suggestions
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon

    I should add that from the machine I can't get to join the network, I
    can ping it's own IP address from itself (as well as the 127.0.0.1)
    which seemed to me to imply that IP was configured okay
    Simon Woods, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Simon Woods

    WLW Guest

    Hi, Simon -

    If this is WinXP and you are running the Windows Firewall then check your
    firewall settings:

    - Go to Control Panel, Winnows Firewall.

    - Under the General tab turn the Firewall On and clear the Don't Allow
    Exceptions box.

    - Under the Exceptions tab make sure File and Printer Sharing is checked.

    - Under the Advanced tab select the Wireless network and click on Settings.

    - Under the ICMP tab make sure the Allow Incoming Echo Request is checked.

    If you are running some other Firewall software (Zone Alarm, McAfee, Norton,
    Black Ice...), then turn off the Windows Firewall and make sure the other
    Firewall is properly configured.
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com