Wireless Connected but Aps Won't Connect

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emory Richter, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. Using XP SP2,
    my desktop connected to the modem and router
    does connect to the internet.

    Using XP SP2
    on my IBM T43 laptop
    I could previously reach the net
    with a wireless connection.

    Currently my
    Wireless Network Connection info reads:

    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Signal Strength: Excellent

    But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
    fail to get on the internet.

    Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.

    There is no firewall.
    Windows firewall is off
    and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.

    Using the wireless connection
    how can I get on the web ?
    Emory Richter, Aug 29, 2009

  2. Emory Richter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Emory Richter wrote:

    > Using XP SP2,
    > my desktop connected to the modem and router
    > does connect to the internet.
    >
    > Using XP SP2
    > on my IBM T43 laptop
    > I could previously reach the net
    > with a wireless connection.
    >
    > Currently my
    > Wireless Network Connection info reads:
    >
    > Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    > Signal Strength: Excellent
    >
    > But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
    > fail to get on the internet.
    >
    > Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
    >
    > There is no firewall.
    > Windows firewall is off
    > and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
    >
    > Using the wireless connection
    > how can I get on the web ?

    "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
    www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?

    Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
    admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
    screens for your cable modem?
    VanguardLH, Aug 29, 2009

  3. In article <h7bur2$13b$>, says...
    > Emory Richter wrote:
    >
    > > Using XP SP2,
    > > my desktop connected to the modem and router
    > > does connect to the internet.
    > >
    > > Using XP SP2
    > > on my IBM T43 laptop
    > > I could previously reach the net
    > > with a wireless connection.
    > >
    > > Currently my
    > > Wireless Network Connection info reads:
    > >
    > > Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    > > Signal Strength: Excellent
    > >
    > > But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
    > > fail to get on the internet.
    > >
    > > Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
    > >
    > > There is no firewall.
    > > Windows firewall is off
    > > and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
    > >
    > > Using the wireless connection
    > > how can I get on the web ?

    > "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
    > www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
    >
    > Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
    > admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
    > screens for your cable modem?

    VanguardLH tks for your response.

    I can ping
    yahoo.com
    or
    my Router IP
    from my desktop which has the router connection
    [Sent = 4, Received = 4]

    but, from the notebook
    with the wireless indicator light lit
    and the info:

    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Signal Strength: Excellent

    yahoo.com is unreachable
    and
    my Router IP is unreachable..
    [Sent = 4, Received = 0]

    Can you suggest what steps I could take
    to get a wireless connection ?
    Emory Richter, Aug 29, 2009
  4. Emory Richter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    richard wrote in news::

    > On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:19:47 -0400, Emory Richter <>
    > wrote:

    >>> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
    >>> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
    >>>
    >>> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
    >>> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
    >>> screens for your cable modem?
    >>>

    >>VanguardLH tks for your response.
    >>
    >>I can ping
    >>yahoo.com
    >>or
    >>my Router IP
    >>from my desktop which has the router connection
    >>[Sent = 4, Received = 4]
    >>
    >>but, from the notebook
    >>with the wireless indicator light lit
    >>and the info:
    >>
    >>Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    >>Signal Strength: Excellent
    >>
    >>yahoo.com is unreachable
    >>and
    >>my Router IP is unreachable..
    >>[Sent = 4, Received = 0]
    >>
    >>Can you suggest what steps I could take
    >>to get a wireless connection ?

    > From what you say now, this sounds more like a router issue.
    > if it is unreachable, then you need to look at it for your solution.
    > Sorry, I don't do routers.

    Duh, STFO
    Brian H¹©, Aug 29, 2009
  5. Emory Richter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote in news:Xns9C76DE3F2C4C1briansomewhereoverth@69.16.176.253:

    > Duh, STFO

    State The F... Obvious

    I feel thet RtS needed the clarification here
    Brian H¹©, Aug 29, 2009
  6. Emory Richter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:47:07 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:19:47 -0400, Emory Richter <> wrote:

    >>> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
    >>> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
    >>>
    >>> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
    >>> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
    >>> screens for your cable modem?
    >>>

    >>VanguardLH tks for your response.
    >>
    >>I can ping
    >>yahoo.com
    >>or
    >>my Router IP
    >>from my desktop which has the router connection [Sent = 4, Received = 4]
    >>
    >>but, from the notebook
    >>with the wireless indicator light lit and the info:
    >>
    >>Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    >>Signal Strength: Excellent
    >>
    >>yahoo.com is unreachable
    >>and
    >>my Router IP is unreachable..
    >>[Sent = 4, Received = 0]
    >>
    >>Can you suggest what steps I could take to get a wireless connection ?

    > From what you say now, this sounds more like a router issue. if it is
    > unreachable, then you need to look at it for your solution. Sorry, I
    > don't do routers.

    You don't do much of anything, but you do sto0pid so well.
    Aardvark, Aug 29, 2009
  7. Emory Richter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Emory Richter wrote:

    > In article <h7bur2$13b$>, says...
    >> Emory Richter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using XP SP2,
    >>> my desktop connected to the modem and router
    >>> does connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Using XP SP2
    >>> on my IBM T43 laptop
    >>> I could previously reach the net
    >>> with a wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> Currently my
    >>> Wireless Network Connection info reads:
    >>>
    >>> Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    >>> Signal Strength: Excellent
    >>>
    >>> But my laptop browser, FTP, news and email aps
    >>> fail to get on the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Repairing the Wireless Connection dosn't help.
    >>>
    >>> There is no firewall.
    >>> Windows firewall is off
    >>> and ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled.
    >>>
    >>> Using the wireless connection
    >>> how can I get on the web ?

    >> "Does connect to the Internet". How do you know? Can you ping
    >> www.yahoo.com? Can you telnet to your POP or SMTP mail host?
    >>
    >> Can you use your web browser to open the web pages for your router's
    >> admin screens (to configure it)? Can you ping or connect to the web
    >> screens for your cable modem?
    >>

    > VanguardLH tks for your response.
    >
    > I can ping
    > yahoo.com
    > or
    > my Router IP
    > from my desktop which has the router connection
    > [Sent = 4, Received = 4]
    >
    > but, from the notebook
    > with the wireless indicator light lit
    > and the info:
    >
    > Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    > Signal Strength: Excellent
    >
    > yahoo.com is unreachable
    > and
    > my Router IP is unreachable..
    > [Sent = 4, Received = 0]
    >
    > Can you suggest what steps I could take
    > to get a wireless connection ?

    I've used wireless very little. Perhaps you have security enabled (a
    good thing) in the router and need to add the laptop to the MAC address
    list of hosts that are allowed to connect to that router.
    VanguardLH, Aug 31, 2009