    with the network key already typed in will come up and a connect button. If I
    click connect it will connect and I will be on internet. But where this came
    from, I want to use the key that is set up in router, how can I do this?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=, Apr 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y29yYWRv?=

    Lem Guest

    corado wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have two questions for wireless set up:
    >
    > 1. I have turned off the SSID in my router. Now I don’t see my SSID in
    > “available network connections†but I’m not connected either. How can I keep
    > the SSID hidden and be able to connect to the internet?
    >
    > 2. With SSID turned On, I can see it in “available network
    > connectionsâ€. If I will disconnect manually and re-connect, a small window
    > with the network key already typed in will come up and a connect button. If I
    > click connect it will connect and I will be on internet. But where this came
    > from, I want to use the key that is set up in router, how can I do this?

    You'll get flak from some here who maintain that disabling SSID provides no real
    security (someone who wants to break into your wireless net can easily figure it out
    by analyzing your router's transmissions), keeps Windows Zero Configuration from
    working properly, and makes it more difficult for your thoughtful neighbors to set up
    their wireless networks on a different channel than yours.

    Notwithstanding all that, many wireless router manufacturers still recommend disabling
    SSID transmission. It does keep the casual drive-by/neighbor user from knocking on
    your wireless door. But because you've protected your network by encrypting your
    transmissions (you have, haven't you?), it doesn't much matter that someone can
    attempt to connect.

    Question 1
    By definition, disabling SSID transmission will prevent the SSID from showing up in
    "available network connections." So the answer to Question 1 is, that's how it's
    supposed to work. If you want to keep things this way and still be able to connect to
    your wireless network, then you have to add your network to the list of "Preferred
    netowrks."
    Open Network Connections
    Right click Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties
    On the Wireless Networks Tab:

    Because your network does not broadcast its network name, it will not appear
    under Available networks. Under Preferred networks, click Add. In Wireless
    Network Properties, specify the network name (SSID) and, if needed, the
    wireless network key settings.

    Question 2
    Windows is remembering the key (the one set up on the router) that you typed the first
    time you connected. That's why you are able to connect.

    Lem, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Hi

    SSID should be On otherwise the Wireless would not work correctly.

    As for the security setting, may be this can Help.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 5, 2006