    laptop detected the router with no problems and the current pass phrase
    worked with it. So I'm thinking it's an XP driver utility type problem in my
    old XP laptop. Any suggestions?

    low tech T, Apr 18, 2009

  2. low tech T

    Lem Guest

    low tech T wrote:
    > I have been trying to use the Toshiba Wireless LAN PCI card in my laptop to
    > connect with my USR router. It is security enabled and has a pass phrase.
    > When I put the pass prase in where it asks for a network key I get a message
    > "Wireless Configuration- the network password needs to be 40 bits or 10 bit
    > depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii
    > characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters." I have searched in vain
    > trying find out how to use the internal adapter, without sucess. Actually for
    > the past several years I simply abandoned the internal card and used on
    > supplied by USR- bypassing the windows configuration. I just put a new hard
    > drive in the computer however, and am putting it all back together and
    > thought I would take a stab at making the internal LAN card work. My Vista
    > laptop detected the router with no problems and the current pass phrase
    > worked with it. So I'm thinking it's an XP driver utility type problem in my
    > old XP laptop. Any suggestions?

    When you get a message like the one you received, it means that you are
    using WEP encryption. This is crackable using tools readily available
    on the Internet and you should use WPA2 (preferably) or WPA. You would
    use the "PSK" or "Personal" mode of either WPA2 or WPA.

    The reason for the message is that the "real" WEP key is the string of
    HEX characters, and not the password that you chose. Your router uses
    an algorithm to generate the HEX key from the password; Windows uses an
    algorithm to generate a HEX key from a password. It may not be (and
    often is not) the same algorithm.

    If you insist on using WEP, enter the HEX key when asked. If you don't
    know the HEX key, log on to your router's configuration utility and go
    to the wireless security section. You should see both your password (in
    clear) and its corresponding HEX key. But you should really upgrade
    your security.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 18, 2009