Wireless computer cannot see other network computer all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve Conklan, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. DSL modem; Linksys 54G wireless router

    2 computers (identical) one plugged into the router (A), the other set up
    with a linksys wireless adapter USB (B)
    1 notebook (linksys wireless PC card adapter)

    WindowsOneCare firewall, WindowsXP professional SP 2 on all

    Wireless computer has always had trouble seeing the plugged-in one, but the
    Notebook and plugged-in computer have no problems. I have turned off the
    firewall; makes no difference. I have run and re-run ad nauseam the Network
    wizard and even renamed the network to the preferred name of MSHome.

    I have all the files on the plugged in computer in the Shared Documents
    folder. I even reshared the folder and checked the allow to change files
    box. I get computer B to see the files once in a while, but it coughs when
    it tries to open them and usually want finish doing so before it has stopped
    seeing the file.

    I can run Remote Desktop from Computer A to Computer B and to the notebook,
    but cannot run Remote Desktop from Computer B to A
    Works from notlebook on both computers and vice-versa

    Computer B (wireless) just won't cooperate. Any ideas. I have simplified
    networking on and I am pretty knowledgeable with Windows but could not find
    last night how to enable the advance networking options. Where are they
    hidden?

    Steve Conklan, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Steve Conklan

    SteveC Guest

    I saw some of the other comments from people with similar woes and have more
    information. Computer B with the wireless connection cannot connect to my
    notebook or computer A via Remote Desktop but I can get to it with RD from
    the other two. Since the notebook has a Linksys wireless adapater and
    connects to the network fine, I don't think it is a router problem. I tried
    adding netbeui and that didn't help. Next I am going to uninstall the
    firewall. I disabled it and it made no difference.

    SteveC, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Steve Conklan

    SteveC Guest

    I can get remote desktop to connect if I type in the IP address instead of
    the computer name (in Computer B). I can also get View Computers to show
    the names of all 3, but still cannot connect to shared folders on Notebook
    or Computer A.

    SteveC, Feb 17, 2006