    correctly. Any help?
    Thanks.

    Dan

    Dan, May 5, 2005

  2. Dan

    rupert Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm using XP SP2 on a Centrino notebook.
    > When I try to configure the wireless connection for my router, the client
    > (neither MS nor Intel) will retain the 128-bit key. When I close and
    > reopen the setup, the 26 character hex has reverted back to some short
    > default.
    >
    > This was a functioning wireless setup (with a wireless PC card on an older
    > laptop). The notebook can see the access point, but not connect. I'm
    > certain that all other variables in the configuration are set correctly.
    > Any help?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dan

    The password box will always default to a random number of blobs.It does not
    represent the number of characters you have typed.
    No other suggestions really -other than checking the key entered in your
    router and re entering it once again.

    rupert, May 5, 2005

  3. Dan

    JoeT Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using XP SP2 on a Centrino notebook.
    > When I try to configure the wireless connection for my router, the client
    > (neither MS nor Intel) will retain the 128-bit key. When I close and
    > reopen the setup, the 26 character hex has reverted back to some short
    > default.
    >
    > This was a functioning wireless setup (with a wireless PC card on an older
    > laptop). The notebook can see the access point, but not connect. I'm
    > certain that all other variables in the configuration are set correctly.
    > Any help?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dan

    That's normal behavior. The dotted key you see in the window afterward is a
    representation of the actual key and it looks this way even on my systems
    where all connections are performing flawlessly. ) If you start typing in
    there you need to provide the full key again as usual.

    Note there is more to making the connection work than providing the correct
    key. You must also tell it which of the keys the router is using (Typically
    1-4) of it's generated possibilities. If it's using key number 3 for example
    and your wireless card is defaulting to #1 it won't connect even if the WEP
    key is numerically correct. You'll also need to set the card to use KEY #3.

    joe

    JoeT, May 6, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?QWltw6kgRGpldG91YW5k?=, May 6, 2005