    you! :)
    Thanks in Advance.
    -Luke

    =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=, Sep 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    This can be caused by some 3rd party software that wants to
    hook wireless conections.
    Check file %windir%\setupapi.log and the event log.
    This should give some clues... otherwise you may need to reinstal Windows.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 10, 2005

  3. Also, I've updated the BIOS on my motherboard from A05 to A09. Still no luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=, Sep 10, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    atec Guest

    GLFifer wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Win XP SP2 on it. I have been trying to
    > install a wireless networking card but have been getting a frustrating error
    > over and over. I've used 3 different cards (D-Link DWL-520, DWL-G510, and
    > TRENDNet TEW-403PIplus) in every single PCI slot in my computer, updated the
    > drivers from the websites all to no avail. Every single time, when windows
    > reboots and finds the card and tries to install it, I get an error stating
    > that "There was a problem installing this hardware. the system cannot find
    > the file specified." Try to update the drivers again, disable/enable, all to
    > no avail. At first I thought I had a bad NIC, then maybe even a second, but
    > I can't believe I've got 3 cards all with the same problem, in all the PCI
    > slots in my computer, so I think it must be Windows.
    > If anyone has anyway to fix this problem, I will forever speak highly of
    > you! :)
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > -Luke

    Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
    ( copy the files onto the drive 1st)

    atec, Sep 10, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "atec" <> wrote in message news:4323086d$...

    > Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
    > ( copy the files onto the drive 1st)

    Sorry but this is a bad idea. Safe mode is not intended for installing software
    (the Installer service even won't start in safe mode ).

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 10, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    TW Guest

    Try going into safe mode and check for phantom or extra wireless cards
    listed. If so remove all wireless adaptors and shutdown. Next remove the
    card and restart.
    Using a D-Link card you must install the drivers BEFORE installing the card.
    After installing the drivers shut down, install the card and start back up.
    Windows should then see the card and finish the install.
    Hope that helps
    TW

    TW, Sep 11, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    atec Guest

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > "atec" <> wrote in message news:4323086d$...
    >

    >>Have you tried installing the software in safe mode and then rebooting ?
    >>( copy the files onto the drive 1st)

    > Sorry but this is a bad idea. Safe mode is not intended for installing software
    > (the Installer service even won't start in safe mode ).
    >
    > --PA

    it does work ,

    atec, Sep 11, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=

    itemyar Guest

    I had a similar problem with my Dell Dimension XPS t750r (Win '98), so I
    updated to Win XP, but this didn't entirely fix my problem; I tried
    reinstalling the Linksys driver but I was told that I needed to uninstall
    the Linksys software before I could reinstall it, so I tried this, but it
    wouldn't "uninstall"! Finally, after moving the adapter to a different PCI
    slot (though Device Manager told me there was no conflicts and the device
    was working properly), Windows found it and completed the hardware
    installation. The PCI slot where I first plugged the Linksys into, is the
    same slot where I had a 3Com ethernet card plugged in, though I removed it
    in Device Manager before physically removing it from the PCI slot! Makes me
    wonder if there's something wrong with that PCI slot?

    Don't expect much help from Linksys, they'll just play the blame-game and
    you'll have to constantly ask them to repeat what they're saying because of
    their heavy foriegn accent; an interpreter, if you have one available, would
    be a big help!

    Good luck!

    Ray

    itemyar, Sep 11, 2005
  9. Re: Wireless cards can't be installed--"Cannot find file specified

    Thanks to all for the advice.
    I have always installed software first, turned off the computer, installed
    card and rebooted. Each of the 3 cards has been through this process in each
    PCI slot on my computer, always with the same results. Interestingly, all
    other cards work fine no matter which PCI slot they're in, so I don't think I
    just have a dead slot. I've manually changed the IRQ's in Setup mode, only
    to succede in messing up my display adapters.
    I have flashed my motherboard's BIOS to the latest available from Dell
    (version A09).
    I have cleared my NVRAM to try and remove any faulty memories of PnP hardware.
    All of this, still to no avail. I'm starting to believe that this computer
    or Windows XP on this computer, simply don't want to be wireless! Afraid to
    cut the cord so to speak.
    Thanks again for all the ideas and your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=, Sep 11, 2005
  10. I am having the same problem. I have downloaded my drivers, then I follow
    instruction to install card and the computer freezes up while the files are
    being transfered. Did you find an answer. Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSA2MiBjb25mdXNlZA==?=, Sep 22, 2005
  11. RE: Wireless cards can't be installed--"Cannot find file specified

    Nope. I've just about given up. Hope you have better luck!

    =?Utf-8?B?R0xGaWZlcg==?=, Sep 24, 2005