wireless card install crash name resolution on 98SE

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alexandre, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Alexandre

    Alexandre Guest

    hello,

    I tried to install a Wireless Card (Prism 2 - PCMCIA) on a laptop (w/
    98SE) this afternoon.
    Setup was ok, card can detect my AP and connect to it !
    DHCP can setup IP + Gateway + DNS, and I can ping any host on LAN
    (gateway) or Internet (ISP nameserver), but it can't resolve name !
    And after that with the ethernet card, the problem occurs too (the
    ethernet card was working well before)

    I install again 98SE, and tried again with another one (Ralink rt2500 -
    PCCARD), and the same problem occurs !
    After that I can't resolve name....

    Any idea why ? or even how to resolv this problem without installing
    again 98SE tomorrow (yes it's night there in France ;-)

    thanks,

    Alexandre

    Alexandre, Apr 26, 2005

  2. It's been a long time since I used Windows 98, but maybe I can suggest a few
    things:

    - make sure there is only one network card active (there can be only one
    default gateway)
    - try configuring a static address and DNS servers
    - verify other clients can connect to the AP and resolve names
    - try connecting to a different AP
    - check the AP, firewall, router, or NAT to make sure it's not filtering any
    traffic

    But it sounds like what you are saying is that DNS is permanently messed up
    at some point, requiring a reinstall of the OS.

    Does ipconfig or winipconfig seem different after installing the second
    adapter?

    I found one instance of a similar problem here:

    http://www.computing.net/networking/wwwboard/forum/23647.html

    Cisco has a win9x troubleshooter here:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/wlantroublshoot.html

    Good luck with this!

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Apr 28, 2005