wireless broken ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    ok i finally took the plunge and got myself a adsl / wireless router (Netgear
    DG834g to be exact), the dsl & switch part works fine but im finding myself
    banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the wireless part going.

    when i try to configure the wireless router to use some some sort of encryption
    (tested all, all behave the same) i do succcessfully get 'associated' to
    the w-lan however i cant get a dhcp ip address

    but ... when i configure the wireless router for no security (i have an access
    list only allowing my laptops mac address on the w-lan) i do successfully
    get 'associated' and i do get a dhcp addres BUT the connection is droped
    5 - 10 minutes down the line. even more confusing windows doesnt actually
    say that iam connected to the unsecured w-lan, the only way i can tell is
    by running ipconfig /all.

    to add more confusion into the mix the 'wireless settings' page has this
    configeration option 'Region' it has several countries listed in it but New
    Zealand isnt - i have tried some but they all have the same results as described
    above

    is this wireless box broken ?

    next step will be to reset to factory settings and try again

    -----------
    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Steven H

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 23:24:07 +0000 (UTC), Steven H <>
    wrote:

    >ok i finally took the plunge and got myself a adsl / wireless router (Netgear
    >DG834g to be exact), the dsl & switch part works fine but im finding myself
    >banging my head against a brick wall trying to get the wireless part going.
    >
    >when i try to configure the wireless router to use some some sort of encryption
    >(tested all, all behave the same) i do succcessfully get 'associated' to
    >the w-lan however i cant get a dhcp ip address
    >
    >but ... when i configure the wireless router for no security (i have an access
    >list only allowing my laptops mac address on the w-lan) i do successfully
    >get 'associated' and i do get a dhcp addres BUT the connection is droped
    >5 - 10 minutes down the line. even more confusing windows doesnt actually
    >say that iam connected to the unsecured w-lan, the only way i can tell is
    >by running ipconfig /all.
    >
    >to add more confusion into the mix the 'wireless settings' page has this
    >configeration option 'Region' it has several countries listed in it but New
    >Zealand isnt - i have tried some but they all have the same results as described
    >above
    >
    >is this wireless box broken ?
    >
    >next step will be to reset to factory settings and try again

    Plus install the latest Firmware.

    XP, Oct 15, 2005