    With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to the
    router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
    then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this area.

    The One, Jan 27, 2005

  2. The One

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The One wrote:

    > Pleeding ignorance here.
    >
    > With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to the
    > router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
    > then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this
    > area.

    It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall to the
    modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in cases
    that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can connect wire and
    wireless computers to the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 27, 2005

  3. The One

    The One Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > The One wrote:
    >
    >> Pleeding ignorance here.
    >>
    >> With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem to
    >> the
    >> router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem which is
    >> then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im clueless in this
    >> area.

    > It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall to
    > the
    > modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in cases
    > that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can connect wire
    > and
    > wireless computers to the router.
    >
    > Duane :)

    So really they aren't wireless then.

    The One, Jan 27, 2005
  4. The One

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> The One wrote:
    >>
    >>> Pleeding ignorance here.
    >>>
    >>> With a wireless broadband router, how do you connect from the modem
    >>> to the
    >>> router. Do they come with a device which plugs into the PC modem
    >>> which is then picked up by the router. Can someone explain, im
    >>> clueless in this area.

    >> It uses a wire connection like a CAT5 cable that comes from the wall
    >> to the
    >> modem and from the modem to the router. The wireless router has in
    >> cases that I have seen 4 RJ45 wire Ethernet ports too so one can
    >> connect wire and
    >> wireless computers to the router.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > So really they aren't wireless then.

    A part of the router is wireless and you can use a wireless NIC (Network
    Interface Card) with your computer like a laptop and move around the
    house or go outside with the laptop as far away from the router that a
    signal can be sent/received by the wireless NIC used by the laptop. You
    can share resources with other wired or wireless (like a wireless NIC
    installed on a desktop computer) computers that are using the router from
    your wireless laptop. And all the computers using wire or wireless
    accessing the router can access the Internet. But the cable comes from
    the cable connection on the wall and connects to the modem and a cable
    connects the router to the modem for the broadband cable connection.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 27, 2005
  5. The One

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in news:41f96931_4@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

    > So really they aren't wireless then.

    Wireless doesn't refer to not needing power and an internet connection.
    Wireless refers to the fact it supports one or more of the 802.11 standards
    for wireless connectivity. It lets you connect computers to the router
    over wireless connections instead of running CAT5 cables.

    Jim Berwick, Jan 28, 2005