    outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
    except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
    run that far. Everything is 802.11b.
    mcp6453, Jun 5, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Duane Arnold Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
    @earthlink.net:

    > Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

    behind
    > house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
    > wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
    > computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If I
    > put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

    kitchen,
    > am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless router?
    >
    > I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
    > Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to the
    > outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
    > except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
    > run that far. Everything is 802.11b.

    I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
    repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
    want to look into that solution.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 5, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

    > behind
    > > house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
    > > wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
    > > computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If I
    > > put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

    > kitchen,
    > > am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless router?
    > >
    > > I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
    > > Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to the
    > > outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
    > > except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot be
    > > run that far. Everything is 802.11b.
    > >

    > I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
    > repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
    > want to look into that solution.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
    another WAP. Or can it?
    mcp6453, Jun 5, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Duane Arnold Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >> mcp6453 <> wrote in news:40C1DAD6.1532
    >> @earthlink.net:
    >>
    >> > Computer is in bedroom at far end of house. Router is in building

    >> behind
    >> > house. Kitchen is half way between bedroom and, uh, outhouse. The
    >> > wireless LAN card on the computer cannot see the router. A notebook
    >> > computer setup in the kitchen for testing gets about 45% signal. If

    >> > put a wireless bridge in the kitchen, or in the attic above the

    >> kitchen,
    >> > am I likely to get a signal from the notebook to the wireless

    router?

    >> > I though about using an Ethernet to wireless adapter and running an
    >> > Ethernet cable from the computer to the side of the house next to

    the
    >> > outhouse, but I cannot find a unit that has this type of interface,
    >> > except what appears to be called a game adapter. USB cables cannot

    be
    >> > run that far. Everything is 802.11b.
    >> >

    >> I have never used it. But I have read posts about using a WAP as a
    >> repeater to extend the range of the wireless to cover an area. You may
    >> want to look into that solution.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
    > another WAP. Or can it?

    I don't know how it works. I just know that you can accomplish it. You
    can post your questions at alt.internet.wireless they can help you there
    on the how-to(s). You may want to search Google a liitle bit to get some
    info on WAP as a Repeater. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 5, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Jim Berwick Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
    > another WAP. Or can it?

    I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
    WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 5, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
    > > another WAP. Or can it?

    > I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
    > WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.

    Can you explain how to do this?
    mcp6453, Jun 5, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Thanks, Duane. How would that work? A WAP cannot communicate with
    > > another WAP. Or can it?

    > I don't know how universal the feature is, but you can take two linksys
    > WAP11's and have one be a client of the other.

    Never mind. I found it. I thought I was familiar with this unit, but
    it's a different one that I was thinking about. It has a bridge mode.
    mcp6453, Jun 5, 2004