    wireless users to authenticate via Active Directory to gain access to
    the network. Is that possible? How would I do that (overview is
    fine)? Thanks guys. -Mike.
    LiquidNoize, Aug 10, 2004

  2. LiquidNoize

    Niklas Guest

    By using a radius server (ms IAS) you can use peap-ms-chap v2 to
    authenticate aginst the AD.

    Look at "Deployment Resources" in the link below. There is a step-by-step
    guide to set up the environment.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/wifi/default.mspx

    Niklas, Aug 10, 2004

  3. LiquidNoize

    LiquidNoize Guest

    Thanks Niklas. I'll look over that. Can I use any WAP? I was
    thinking about trying the Linksys WAP first because of the price.

    LiquidNoize, Aug 10, 2004
  4. LiquidNoize

    LiquidNoize Guest

    Also, can I use IAS as a standalone server? In other words, do I need
    a AD domain to be able to authenticate wireless users via IAS? or can
    I just use local accounts?

    LiquidNoize, Aug 10, 2004
  5. LiquidNoize

    Niklas Guest

    WAP=wireless access point? :)
    In theory they should all support the same standard, but I have noticed my
    cisco adapter will make my access point (belkin 7130) to stop function and I
    had to restart it, but I havn't had any problem with my linksys WAP54g
    (though I have only tried with a few different adapters) but if possible
    stick with the same manufacturer with both WAP and adapters (ofcourse this
    is just my opinion).

    /Niklas

    Niklas, Aug 11, 2004
  6. LiquidNoize

    Niklas Guest

    There is a newsgroup called microsoft.public.internet.radius where I think
    you will find the best answers.
    I'm not sure with the local users, there are a two options to authenticate
    with the IAS either using peap-ms-chap which uses "domain\user" and password
    to authenticate, the other is EAP-TLS which uses certificates and with that
    I don't think you would need a AD. But if you can't find the answer, ask in
    the mentioned newsgroup.

    /Niklas

    Niklas, Aug 11, 2004
  7. LiquidNoize