Wireless authentication prblms

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by zuke, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. zuke

    zuke Guest

    I cannot log onto a AD wirelessly. I can join the computer to the domain and
    make a computer account, unjoin the domain, and join again wirelessly, but
    the user cannot log on. At the logon screen the complaint is "...domain
    unavailable." Event viewer shows domain controller can't be found (but I
    can join the computer to the domain using an admin logon account that then
    cannot log onto the AD from this computer which I had just used to create it
    own account in AD over the wire). I am using an Atheros chip in a Toshiba
    Satallite and a Linksys WRT54G with WPA/AES. Everything is statically
    addressed (no DHCP).

    There is a thread with several posting on this issue in the newsgroup
    public.win2000.security: with the subject "Domain unavailable for some
    logins"

    The final post by the MVP is copied below:

    "The info shown in the reports generated for netdiag contain all the info
    that is included in ipconfig /all. Your reports all look great in that the
    domain controllers and domain clients are configured correctly and
    communicating with each other [well at least after startup] . I believe the
    problem is your wireless network. What happens is that wireless network
    cards often do not initialize fast enough at startup to have network
    connectivity and contact a domain controller. One solution to fix the
    problem is to have the users that need to logon to the computer do so when
    it is connected to the network by cable. That should create a cached logon
    for that user and by default a domain computer can store 10 cached logons.
    This behavior is a security option controlled in Local Security Policy under
    local policies/security options - number of previous logons to cache. Once
    the user has a cached logon he can logon via the wireless network via the
    cached logon and then after the wireless network adapter initializes it will
    have network connectivity and the user will be able to use domain resources.

    Beyond that you could contact the manufacturer of your wireless equipment
    and ask them if they have any solution which could be a driver upgrade or a
    registry change for the wireless adapter or you may be stuck with
    performance as is. There may be particular brand of wireless network
    adapters that work better in an Active Directory domain environment but I
    can't recommend any based on my experience. You might also want to post in
    the Active_directory newsgroup with a topic along the lines of "wireless
    domain user logon problems" to see if anyone there has any recommendations
    or experience with that problem. --- Steve"

    ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOME,
    ZUKE
    zuke, Nov 8, 2005

  2. zuke

    BklynArtie Guest

    Hi,

    Have you checked your DNS addresses to make sure that it points to your
    DNS server. AD relies very heavily on DNS. Wireless or wired, the
    theory is still the same for AD.

    Check those and if incorrect, fix that.......ussually errors of "Domain
    Unavailble" refers to name resolution problems.

    BklynArtie, Nov 8, 2005

  3. zuke

    zuke Guest

    Hello,
    On the Toshiba A60 Satellite laptop there is an option in the Atheros
    wireless chip config utility labled, "Let windows manage..."

    Once I checked this, I opened the windows (WinXP SP2) wireless Networks
    config and checked the box "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings",
    opened the utility, entered my WPA/AES key, and rebooted.

    Logons work fine now.

    -Zuke

    zuke, Nov 16, 2005