Wireless audio streaming over TCP/IP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Karl Engel, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    Some basic questions about wireless audio streaming: (and please suggest a
    more suitable forum if you know of any)

    I'd like to send stereo audio to different rooms in the house. My main
    computer's connected to a wireless router. I know there are pricey turnkey
    hardware solutions like Sonos and certain Yamaha products which include
    speakers, but I'm happy for the "satellite" systems to be just powered
    computer speakers with a sub and it would be good if I could use my existing
    wireless router; plus I don't require separate "zones" playing different
    audio. Can this be most simply achieved with Apple Airport express units on
    each satellite?

    What software is required to stream the audio over the wireless?

    Can the software and wireless G handle uncompressed CD audio - ie could CDs
    be streamed direct from a CD player or the computer's disc drive rather than
    all being MP3s on the HDD?

    Taking this further:

    Could I use similar tech to stream discrete channels of audio wirelessly to
    separate speakers of a stereo or 5.1 system, to achieve a higher quality
    wireless alternative to infra-red or FM solutions? What software could send
    each channel as if on a separate "frequency" and what hardware would be
    needed at each speaker to turn it back into sound most cost effectively? I
    imagine a separate computer and wireless router would be needed for this
    system which is in the living room, some distance from the home-office
    computer and router being used in the earlier scenario. I have older
    computers that could be brought back into service for this.
    Karl Engel, Jun 16, 2007