    it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.

    remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
    tried with and without firewall and there was no difference

    billyw, Aug 29, 2004

  2. billyw

    Rod Farmer Guest

    I have similar problems with SP2 and network/Internet connections (you can
    see my recent post to this group).
    How did you return your system to pre-SP2 - I have a pre-SP2 restore point
    and SP2 also shows up in <add/remove programs>. Is it best to remove it
    first and then use SR, or just use SR.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Rod

    Rod Farmer, Aug 29, 2004

  3. billyw

    Malke Guest

    billyw wrote:

    > have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
    > the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
    >
    > it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
    > previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will
    > see wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
    >
    > however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
    > it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
    >
    > remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
    > tried with and without firewall and there was no difference

    See if there are updated drivers for that wifi card from DLink.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Aug 29, 2004
  4. billyw

    billyw Guest

    hi

    i just uninstalled it

    billyw, Aug 29, 2004
  5. billyw

    billyw Guest

    it is the latest drivers.
    also removed drivers and re applied after sp2 install.. still no go

    billyw, Aug 29, 2004
  6. I am having similar issues with my wireless.
    I have a Linksys routerWRT54
    Broadband wirless internal cards on 2 laptops
    1 Linksys external for a laptop
    2 Dlink G cards for desktops
    all have 128 wep to connect to access point.
    nothing but troubles with SP2.
    apparently they did not test this properly before releasing.
    I have uninstalled the SP2 and it works fine now.
    I have left it onmy laptop with broadband card.
    and disabled the fire wall Securty center in the control panel.
    I have firewall protection on the router and thru symantec.
    It seems to be working for the moment but we will see.
    Trying to send this to the support team but can't get to send them the info.
    hope Microsoft reads these.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFo=?=, Aug 30, 2004
  7. billyw

    CZ Guest

    >> Same problems here. I have an IBM T42 (XP Pro with SP2) with an internal
    wireless adapter that I first thought was at fault-disabled it- and used a
    Linksys wireless card and was able to connect only to then lose the
    connection-the IP address was on and off. I have a Dell notebook with a
    wireless card (XP HOME ED with SP2) that works fine with the Linksys
    wireless
    card. I went through IBM support and my T42 was functioning without a
    problem
    everything pinged and he suggested that I contact the Router company
    (Linkcys
    WRT54GS). I sent an e-mail message but have no response yet.

    Bill:

    Just a note that WiFi (802.11b) works fine here with XP SP2 using Orinoco
    cards and AP:
    Home built desktop: XP Home and Pro
    Dell Latitude C400 portable: XP Pro

    CZ, Sep 1, 2004
  8. I also have same problem, current setup = Linksys (bef11s4 ver4) wireless
    router, Centrino laptop with internal Intel 2100 mini pci adapter. Laptop can
    see router with full signal but cannot connect. Can see and connect to
    neighbors netgear router. My linksys router can see and connect to netgear
    bridge. Have updated to SP2, latest drivers for both router and internal
    Intel adapter in laptop, turned on off firewall, moved both computer and
    router to different locations, changed channels, ect. Contacted linksys and
    after 2 phone calls and 2 hours each, still not working. called HP tech
    support and after waiting 4 days for an answer I get the famous "reimage". Is
    this what tech support (lack there of)has come to so with nothing left to
    lose but my personal info. I reinstalled Windows XP and drivers. No luck
    still not working. Installed SP1, no luck. Installed SP2, no luck. For less
    than 50 bucks I can get another router, will most likely be Netgear since I
    know that I can connect to it. Thanks all for listening to me vent. hope This
    helps someone with there problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=, Sep 3, 2004