Wireless and wired network together on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Atreides, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Atreides

    Atreides Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to install a wireless internet connection in addition to my
    existing wired LAN.

    I have a laptop which is connected to the wireless network and also an
    enthernet cable is plugged to this laptop. On the other end of the
    ethernet cable, there is a router/hub which is not connected to the
    internet anymore, it is supposed to serve as a hub only. The wired LAN
    is necessary for sharing files/drives with other computers.

    My problem is that if the ethernet cable is plugged to my laptop
    (running Windows XP Home), I can not get to the internet over wireless.
    It looks like it is still trying to use the wired router to get to the
    internet.

    Could anybody shed some light on this problem ?

    Thanks in advance,

    Devrim

    Atreides, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Hi,

    If you open a cmd prompt and type netstat -rn
    you will probably see you have 2 default routes (0.0.0.0) to your wired and
    wireless adapter with the same metric probably 20 - this is the problem

    There are a couple of ways to fix this depending on what you are doing on
    your network - probably the easiest way is to go to your network connections
    page, right click on wireless connections, select properties, tcp/ip
    properties, select advanced then untick automatic metric, enter a value lower
    than the wired adapter (20) so use 10 for instance.

    Now the wireless adapter will be prefered for all routes except the network
    attached to the wired adapter. If you have other networks accesible via the
    wired adapter ie. via a router, you can add specific permanent routes with
    the route add dos command.

    Hope this helps
    Wayno

    =?Utf-8?B?d2F5bm8=?=, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Atreides

    Atreides Guest

    Works Perfectly ! Exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thanks a lot
    Wayno.

    Atreides, Jun 6, 2006