    work by default - client sees wireless, connects trough AP, "reaches" server
    on which DHCP is running and gets its ip? APs we used are D-link
    DWL-2000AP+..
    =?Utf-8?B?aXZh?=, Aug 17, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aXZh?=

    Guest

    On 17-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?aXZh?= <> wrote:

    > Should this
    > work by default - client sees wireless, connects trough AP, "reaches" server
    > on which DHCP is running and gets its ip? APs we used are D-link
    > DWL-2000AP+..

    Never had any success with D-Link stuff, in common with many
    reviewers of kit. But that aside, I suspect, based on experience,
    that DHCP is a one shot attempt to obtain an address, if it
    fails due to a bad wireless link, a timeout because traffic has
    priority over handing out DHCP leases, or an SSID problem,
    it sits and waits forever.
    With static addresses you bypass DHCP.
    Network packet monitoring should see the DHCP request
    packet (source), the response (if any), and to which IP address
    the response is directed to (destination). As well as the timing.
    , Aug 17, 2006