    Or if not, How can I share the dialup wirelessly.

    Thanks.

    Alastair.
    Alister, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Alister

    Alister Guest

    I wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I currently run a wired network with a mix of Windows and Linux PC's
    > My Internet connection is a 56K dialup connection (broadband not
    > available in my area)
    > I need to implement a wireless link to my internet connection.
    > Currently the Internet is shared by proxy firewall software on a
    > windows PC.
    >
    > If I buy a wireless gateway router, can I connect the single PC with
    > the dialup to the router through the ADSL Lan connection?
    >
    > Or if not, How can I share the dialup wirelessly.

    Having now read some other recent threads (sorry) it appears that I can
    connect
    a Wireless router to my host pc through one of its standard LAN ports
    with a crossover.

    However, further questions:

    Since I already have a proxy server and firewall on the host PC, do I
    actually need a
    wireless router, or can I just stick a PCI Wireless card in the PC and
    use the PC
    as a combined wired / wireless router?

    Is the RF output (and therefore range) of a wireless card any less than
    a router?

    Thanks in advance,

    Alastair.
    Alister, Jan 29, 2006