Wireless after SP2 : Spyware rears its hideous head

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmljayBLb3JiZWNr?=, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. I have three laptops (Toshiba Satellite 5205, Acer TravelMate C301xi, and a
    Compaq Presario) and had problems with all of them ... temporarily. All
    three had passed Norton, AdAware and SpyBot with nothing flagged. After
    having various attempts to update to SP2 fail (Task Manager said the updater
    was still running ... after five hours with nothing but a microsecond blink
    of the disk access LED every 45 seconds or so, I would beg to differ ...
    that's "frozen" by any reasonable guidelines I can think of.)

    All three had some variation of Cool Web Search (browser hijacking program)
    present ... which usually hijacks IE, changing the default home page to
    something the virus writer thought was cool, and sometimes there is also a
    piece of software that attches itself to IE as a shell between IE and the
    pages you attempt to access. Both are annoying, but not necessarily
    alarming. However, all three had something more worrisome -- they had
    removed the System Restore tab on the System Properties dialog, effectively
    removing the rollback safety net. Finally, watching
    Task Manager, I noticed a program called SysFader.exe loading, running and
    disappearing again ... not reassuring behaviors!

    I removed these infections by using a combination of CWShredder.exe
    (downloaded through Download.com or www.spywareinfo.com. My version # is
    1.59) and using HijackThis.exe to log/list the processes running in memory.
    These were alternated a few times until not only the versions loading into
    memory were removed, but also the installer program, which ran when no other
    copies were present in memory (actually two had an installer EXE. which had
    differing names. The third never showed an installer, but also did not ever
    reinstall the virus)

    In all three cases, not only did they update successfully (in under half an
    hour, each) but the System Restore tab was itself restored to the System
    Properties dialog. All three inserted back into the network they were
    originally attached to with NO problems.

    Of course, its only Wednesday ... there could be changes tomorrow. Hope
    this helps someone.

    rk

    --
    "Certainly life exists elsewhere in the universe ... and the fact that it
    has not attempted to contact us proves that it is Intelligent Life." ---

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljayBLb3JiZWNr?=, Sep 9, 2004