wireless adsl thingee recomendation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve H, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Steve H

    Steve H Guest

    if you cant already tell by the subject i am compleatly out of my depth
    when it comes to these 'thingees' so hopefully somebody can recommend
    something.

    budget 200, 250 at a stretch

    what i want :

    i host several servers behind my ip so it should do forwarding (i would
    assume this would be normal these days).

    i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
    things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
    assume this would be normal)

    the little understanding i do have about wireless networks is that we have
    two types, the slow 12mbit & the faster 50mbit. if it can do both that
    would be excelent.

    it oviously should have a port so i can plug it into my switch.

    can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material

    thanks heaps

    ---------------------
    Steven H

    Steve H, Oct 6, 2005

  2. sounds like a few different issues... reply is inline.

    Steve H wrote:
    > budget 200, 250 at a stretch

    sounds fine ish.

    > what i want :
    > i host several servers behind my ip so it should do forwarding (i would
    > assume this would be normal these days).

    forwarding is easy, pretty much any of the ones with router in the name
    should do this no questions asked.

    > i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
    > things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
    > assume this would be normal)

    ummm, whats the reason for this?
    Just wondering as this is kinda a totally different angle to the one
    above. If just home users, then why block it, and if corporate, why such
    a low budget?

    Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

    > the little understanding i do have about wireless networks is that we have
    > two types, the slow 12mbit & the faster 50mbit. if it can do both that
    > would be excelent.

    most do, look for b+g(802.11b and 802.11g) or similar

    > it oviously should have a port so i can plug it into my switch.

    most do, especially if you want the ones with the above features.

    > can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material

    Billion routers seem to be good bang for buck... they are the same as
    the DSE ones, but have more shit/features enabled.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz - my site.
    http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Steve H

    Steve H Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:13:29 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > sounds like a few different issues... reply is inline.

    thanks for your insights

    >> i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
    >> things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
    >> assume this would be normal)

    > ummm, whats the reason for this?
    > Just wondering as this is kinda a totally different angle to the one
    > above. If just home users, then why block it, and if corporate, why such
    > a low budget?

    point taken, reasoning with the msn blocking is a 'issue' in my flat with
    one of the computer owners & the person who is always using it

    > Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

    iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
    routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
    does the firewall

    > most do, look for b+g(802.11b and 802.11g) or similar

    thanks

    >> can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material

    > Billion routers seem to be good bang for buck... they are the same as
    > the DSE ones, but have more shit/features enabled.

    thanks

    --------
    Steven H

    Steve H, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Steve H

    EMB Guest

    Steve H wrote:

    >>Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

    > iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
    > routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
    > does the firewall

    Grab an old PC (any PII or better machine with 128MB or more of RAM, 2
    NICs and a HDD will do) and head on over to http://ipcop.org and
    download the software and read the guide. The head to
    http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/ and download and install the
    addons server. From the addons server install Copplus and you've got
    all the filtering options you need to keep the flatmates in line.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Steve H

    Steve H Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:17:18 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Steve H wrote:
    >
    >>>Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

    >> iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
    >> routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
    >> does the firewall

    > Grab an old PC (any PII or better machine with 128MB or more of RAM, 2
    > NICs and a HDD will do) and head on over to http://ipcop.org and
    > download the software and read the guide. The head to
    > http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/ and download and install the
    > addons server. From the addons server install Copplus and you've got
    > all the filtering options you need to keep the flatmates in line.

    lol yes true, but doesnt the dsl box need to support 'pass-through' (forget
    proper term) to let a diffrent box handle the firewall

    --------
    Steven H

    Steve H, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Steve H

    EMB Guest

    Steve H wrote:

    > lol yes true, but doesnt the dsl box need to support 'pass-through' (forget
    > proper term) to let a diffrent box handle the firewall

    Half bridge mode will put the ISP assigned IP address straight onto the
    ethernet port of the ADSL router, however even using NAT and forwarding
    any necessary ports on the ADSL router will work. The only real problem
    is that if the WAP is built into the ADSL router the external firewall
    won't do anything for the wireless LAN connections.

    Assuming that you've already got an ADSL connection you might be better
    to use the existing ADSL hardware, set up an IPCOP box with 3 NIC's and
    buy a wireless access point to hang off it's own interface on the IPCOP.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 6, 2005