    on range. Can anyone recommend a brand and model that they use, which has a
    good range?

    TIA

    Rob, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Rob

    EMB Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > I am looking for a wireless ADSL Router, Firewall, etc. However I am looking
    > for one with a good range, at least 10 metres through a couple of walls. I
    > am looking at connecting to it via a notebook which has an internal g
    > wireless cad. I have seen quite a few but there is very little information
    > on range. Can anyone recommend a brand and model that they use, which has a
    > good range?

    My 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 does the job happily to a couple of IBM R52
    laptops running their internal wireless cards. Full speed is available
    everywhere inside the house - up to 10m away and 3 walls in between.

    However they won't take a different antenna, so you don't have any
    option to use a higher gain antenna if you want more coverage.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Rob

    SNOman Guest

    Get one which incorporates MIMO

    I've got this one

    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN824.php

    and find it very good. I can connect to it from outside the opposite end
    of the house, at least 30 metres away.

    If I was buying now I'd probably get something like this though

    http://www.netgear.com/promotions/2005/rangemax240.php

    SNOman, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Rob wrote:
    > I am looking for a wireless ADSL Router, Firewall, etc. However I am looking
    > for one with a good range, at least 10 metres through a couple of walls. I
    > am looking at connecting to it via a notebook which has an internal g
    > wireless cad. I have seen quite a few but there is very little information
    > on range. Can anyone recommend a brand and model that they use, which has a
    > good range?
    >
    > TIA

    I got this one http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODDYN1025W at $169

    It is in an office about 100m from where I am parked and I get good signal and
    performance from it. Like many others its main draw back is the inability to
    change the antenna on it since the stud dipole is fixed. I am in a Motorhome
    using a Dlink AP as a client and using the standard Dipole Stub, there is a big
    leafy tree between me and the AP along with several timber walls.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jan 10, 2006