    manufacturer I buy for him?
    Thanks
    Tony

    Tony Williams, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Tony Williams

    Barb Bowman Guest

    nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
    interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
    what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
    with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Aug 17, 2007

  3. Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
    laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
    Tony

    Tony Williams, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Tony Williams

    Barb Bowman Guest

    everything depends on environment. generally no. unless these are
    older laptops with b only.

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:17:56 +0100, "Tony Williams" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
    >laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
    >Tony
    >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
    >> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
    >> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
    >> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
    >>
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
    >>>which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
    >>>buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
    >>>manufacturer I buy for him?
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Tony
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Hi
    The pre installed Wireless are usually very good.
    In general there is a very little difference between the name Brands
    Wireless client cards (adapters), getting a good Wireless Router is much
    more important.
    No matter what Do not get a combo ADSL Modem/Router, there are Not as good
    as the stand alone Modem, and stand alone Wireless cable?DSL Router.
    Currently my personal preference is, http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 17, 2007
  6. Tony Williams

    Lem Guest

    Tony Williams wrote:
    > Thanks Barb. Is there any downside with reception with built in adaptors in
    > laptops as distinct from the usb or pcmi cards?
    > Tony
    > "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> nope. 802.11b/g and 802.11a are standards and should be
    >> interoperable. there are a few draft 802.11n routers out, but from
    >> what I've seen, all the major chipsets support b/g will work fine
    >> with them as long as they are configured as n/b/g
    >>
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:42:52 +0100, "Tony Williams" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am setting up a home wireless network for a friend. He has two laptops
    >>> which have inbuilt wireless adaptors. Are these any less efficient than
    >>> buying and installing network adaptor cards from whichever ADSL Router
    >>> manufacturer I buy for him?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    You can usually add an external antenna and/or an extension cable to
    add-on pci or usb wifi adapters (and even some pcmci cards) to get the
    antenna located more advantageously (or to add a high-gain antenna). I
    don't think laptops usually have external antenna connections, but if
    you like to tinker ... http://repair4laptop.org/wireless_lan_antennae.html

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Tony Williams

    Jim Guest

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > You can usually add an external antenna and/or an extension cable to
    > add-on pci or usb wifi adapters (and even some pcmci cards) to get the
    > antenna located more advantageously (or to add a high-gain antenna). I
    > don't think laptops usually have external antenna connections, but if you
    > like to tinker ... http://repair4laptop.org/wireless_lan_antennae.html
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To add to what Len posted, the antenna on my laptop is built into the
    display. It must some sort of large loop antenna.
    The interface is an Intel device which works quite well with my Linksys
    router. The laptop is about 25 feet from the router.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 17, 2007
  8. Thanks everyone lots to think about!
    Tony

    Tony Williams, Aug 17, 2007
  9. Tony Williams

    Mel Guest

    I would recommend getting Network Magic , It cost $29.95 Install it on both
    computers it works great and you can share File or printers
    Good Luck

    Mel, Aug 23, 2007