Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair"option?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 2, 2008.

  1. Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    Hi
    The Repair is a serious of commands.
    Quote from, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727023.aspx
    The tasks that are performed by Network Connection Repair are the following:
    Checks whether DHCP is enabled and, if enabled, sends a broadcast DHCP
    Request message to refresh the IPv4 address configuration.
    Flushes the ARP cache. This is equivalent to the arp -d * command.
    Flushest and reloads the DNS client resolver cache with entries from the
    Hosts file. This is equivalent to the ipconfig /flushdns command.
    Re-registers DNS names using DNS dynamic update. This is equivalent to the
    ipconfig /registerdns command.
    Flushes and reloads the NetBIOS name cache with #PRE entries in the Lmhosts
    file. This is equivalent to the nbtstat -R command.
    Releases and then re-registers NetBIOS names with the Windows Internet Name
    Service (WINS). This is equivalent to the nbtstat -RR command.
    End of Quote
    You can write a batch file that would execute most of this process.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 2, 2008

  2. Basically, I'm asking the same question as the person in this post:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289256/en-us

    Jamie Furlong, Apr 2, 2008

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Pavel A. Guest

    Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    Well, the eventlog message "The system detected that network adapter PRISM
    802.11g Wireless Adapter
    was disconnected from the network..."
    is the standard message issued by tcpip when it sees the netcard medium
    disconnected.
    It does not indicate any malfunction.

    But when the adapter is disconnected, ipconfig /renew won't, so how the
    repair works for you?
    When you do repair, is the adapter connected or not?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 3, 2008
  4. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    can you try a different wireless adapter? Prism was bought out a few
    times, but no company has existed for several years and there is no
    real source for drivers for Prism based cards.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 3, 2008
  5. Three replies in one here :)

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > The Repair is a serious of commands.
    > Quote from, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727023.aspx
    > You can write a batch file that would execute most of this process.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Hmm, this seems to only work when the network card hasn't disconnected
    itself. It doesn't seem to do the full "disabling network card" that
    repair does.

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > Well, the eventlog message "The system detected that network adapter
    > PRISM 802.11g Wireless Adapter
    > was disconnected from the network..."
    > is the standard message issued by tcpip when it sees the netcard medium
    > disconnected.
    > It does not indicate any malfunction.
    >
    > But when the adapter is disconnected, ipconfig /renew won't, so how the
    > repair works for you?
    > When you do repair, is the adapter connected or not?

    The adaptor is on the motherboard - it cannot be physically removed.

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > can you try a different wireless adapter? Prism was bought out a few
    > times, but no company has existed for several years and there is no
    > real source for drivers for Prism based cards.

    Tried other adaptors, most recently the netgear WPN111. Despite spending
    HOURS making 100% sure I have all the latest motherboard/usb/etc drivers
    and firmware, it still reliably blue-screens or freezes my PC, oddly
    enough, at around the same time this adaptor put itself out of action
    (no, I don't have them enabled at the same time!)

    Thanks for help so far

    Jamie Furlong, Apr 4, 2008
  6. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    is the blue screen message always the same and what is it?
    is there any information in event viewer?
    is there anything else attached to the pc?
    exactly what pc is this?

    Barb Bowman, Apr 4, 2008
  7. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    smlunatick Guest

    On Apr 2, 5:05 pm, Jamie Furlong <> wrote:
    > Basically, I'm asking the same question as the person in this post:http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windows.networking....
    >
    > Essentially:
    > "XP's wireless connection manager has an option to "Repair" wireless
    > network connections, that disables then re-enables the adapter. My
    > question is this, what's the filen this command runs. I want to create a
    > batch file that just runs this command"
    >
    > In fact, I want to do something extra - I want to run a batch file every
    > hour. What happens is that sometime between 3 and 6am, reliably every
    > night, my adaptor disconnects, and can't reconnect itself. As soon as I
    > do "repair", I'm back.
    >
    > Later in the thread, someone pointed tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/289256/en-us
    > But that doesn't seem to actually repair the adaptor. Here's what all
    > happens at about the same time (from event viewer)
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > The system detected that network adapter PRISM 802.11g Wireless Adapter
    > was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network
    > configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not
    > disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please
    > contact your vendor for updated drivers.
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > Well, there's no updated driver, and it uses the windows wireless
    > config, not its own config. And....
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > The browser has forced an election on network
    > \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F2XXXXXX-XXXX-4C1C-XXX-91XXXXX03} because a master
    > browser was stopped. (x's my addition!)
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > Also...
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
    > network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security
    > hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get
    > the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec
    > monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > So, what I was hoping was that, if it can't reconnect itself, it might
    > just repair itself hourly, so, broken or not, it can come back to life.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Have you considered setting up a scheduled XP "reboot" shortly after
    the wireless adapter disappeared. There are numerous examples of
    scheduling a reboot.

    smlunatick, Apr 4, 2008
  8. Barb Bowman wrote:
    > is the blue screen message always the same and what is it?

    IIRC, something about usbhci.sys and wpn111.sys - oddly, it almost
    always occurs with uploads. I can make it crash reliably by uploading a
    video to Facebook, for example. On the other hand, it can happily
    download for hours in a row previous to that.

    > is there any information in event viewer?

    Yes - (from my original post (reply continues below quote))

    > (from event viewer)
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > The system detected that network adapter PRISM 802.11g Wireless Adapter
    > was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network
    > configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not
    > disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please
    > contact your vendor for updated drivers.
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > Well, there's no updated driver, and it uses the windows wireless
    > config, not its own config. And....
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > The browser has forced an election on network
    > \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F2XXXXXX-XXXX-4C1C-XXX-91XXXXX03} because a master
    > browser was stopped. (x's my addition!)
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > Also...
    >
    > --------------------------------
    > IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
    > network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security
    > hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get
    > the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec
    > monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
    > --------------------------------

    > is there anything else attached to the pc?

    Yes, but tried disconnecting all but USB mouse and wireless keyboard (no
    choice about having them!)

    > exactly what pc is this?

    Medion MD8083

    Jamie Furlong, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    PRISM is no longer. It is just going to be painful for you until you
    replace the wireless adapter with one that is properly supported and
    more recent. It looks like a driver issue and there is no driver
    development being done.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 8, 2008
  10. Hi Barb;

    Thanks - yes, I know Prism is no longer, but at least it doesn't bring
    down the whole PC when it disconnects. When any USB adaptor crashes, it
    bluescreens the whole system. So between clicking "repair" and retyping
    a whole document, I know which is less painful. The problem is when it's
    5am and it disconnects...

    Jamie Furlong, Apr 10, 2008
  11. Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the"repair" option?

    smlunatick wrote:

    > Have you considered setting up a scheduled XP "reboot" shortly after
    > the wireless adapter disappeared. There are numerous examples of
    > scheduling a reboot.

    Ah, interesting. I didn't realise you could have something act as a
    result of something else. I thought scheduling just mean "at 4am, do
    this" or "at x interval, do that".

    This is new to me - so, how does it work? Does it watch for an event in
    eventvwr, then when it sees "the wireless adaptor has disconnected", it
    would then do the "repair" option automatically? Sounds like a solution.

    Hmmm, now I think of it, would it be possible to batch up a command that
    would ping something every minute, and when the destination was
    unreachable, it would do the repair?

    All the above still leaves me with the problem that the sequence of
    events detailed in repair don't seem to actually disable then re-enable
    the wireless adaptor in the same way that acutally clicking "repair" does.

    Jamie Furlong, Apr 10, 2008
  12. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Wireless adaptor disconnecting at night - how to batch the "repair" option?

    are you saying that any USB adapter you use blue screens and crashes
    the system? is this just wireless adapters or other types of
    peripherals.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 11, 2008
  13. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    honeycrippen12

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hmm......nice discussion u all have discussed guy........! well u know i have recently bought karaoke wireless microphones by online shopping & really got good response along with good price.

    Thanks

    honeycrippen12, Nov 9, 2010