    I have xp with a cable internet connection.

    Mike
    , Apr 30, 2007

  2. joe black Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just looking for advice and opinions on wireless adapters for a pc
    > Should I buy the usb type or go with the type that plug into the PCI
    > slot to go along with my router
    > I have xp with a cable internet connection.
    >
    > Mike

    PCI adapters are far more reliable. Spend your money wisely.
    joe black, Apr 30, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > Just looking for advice and opinions on wireless adapters for a pc
    > Should I buy the usb type or go with the type that plug into the PCI
    > slot to go along with my router
    > I have xp with a cable internet connection.

    My guess is that it depends on how far from the router it will be, or
    more accurately, how strong the signal is. If it's loud and clear then
    it wouldn't make much difference what you bought.

    If signal strength is going to be a problem then you have a couple or
    three choices. The USB device can be put on an extension to get it
    closer to the router or maybe around some obstacles. Or you can buy an
    add on antenna for the PCI device to get the rubber ducky out from
    behind the metal case of the computer.

    And it probably would be best to get the same brand device as your
    router although it's not supposed to be necessary. I have gotten some
    awfully cheap pieces of crap to work pretty well together.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 30, 2007
  4. Gem Guest

    on 4/29/2007, Rôgêr supposed :
    > wrote:
    >> Just looking for advice and opinions on wireless adapters for a pc
    >> Should I buy the usb type or go with the type that plug into the PCI
    >> slot to go along with my router
    >> I have xp with a cable internet connection.

    > My guess is that it depends on how far from the router it will be, or more
    > accurately, how strong the signal is. If it's loud and clear then it wouldn't
    > make much difference what you bought.
    >
    > If signal strength is going to be a problem then you have a couple or three
    > choices. The USB device can be put on an extension to get it closer to the
    > router or maybe around some obstacles. Or you can buy an add on antenna for
    > the PCI device to get the rubber ducky out from behind the metal case of the
    > computer.
    >
    > And it probably would be best to get the same brand device as your router
    > although it's not supposed to be necessary. I have gotten some awfully cheap
    > pieces of crap to work pretty well together.

    don't get a Linksys wireless network adapter (USB) they are a piece of
    krap... last one had direct LOS from router, and would time out---go up
    to 54M---go down to 18M---quit----go back up to 54M cycling, with
    nothing moving......not even the mouse, just letting it sit there by
    itself, hooked to the machine.
    I would go with PCI also.
    Gem, Apr 30, 2007