    decent wireless adapter with a 64-bit driver?

    Thanks
    Ken
    Ken, Sep 13, 2008

  2. I am using a OvisLink Router (WL 1000R) with AP (and Firewall). No drivers,
    self-configuring for the most part, very decent! I have downloaded DVD size
    ISO's thru it in a mere couple of hours.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 13, 2008

  3. Why aren't you doing some research on your own and checking
    the web sites of the various vendors to see if they specify
    either XP Pro x64 or Vista x64 support and/or drivers,
    depending which system you have, and then you'll have a
    better idea of which ones will work and which ones probably
    won't.

    I know I put a Belkin wireless PCI card in my XP Pro x64
    system and it was immediately recognized and drivers loaded
    from what was included in the system installation.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 13, 2008
  4. Ken

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    There are a number which Vista 64 bit supports. XP 64 bit is another kettle
    of fish.
    E.g. D-Link DWA-542 (PCI-connected)
    http://www.dlink.ca/products/?model=DWA-542

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Sep 13, 2008
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > Why aren't you doing some research on your own and checking the web
    > sites of the various vendors to see if they specify either XP Pro x64 or
    > Vista x64 support and/or drivers, depending which system you have, and
    > then you'll have a better idea of which ones will work and which ones
    > probably won't.
    >
    > I know I put a Belkin wireless PCI card in my XP Pro x64 system and it
    > was immediately recognized and drivers loaded from what was included in
    > the system installation.
    >

    > Ken wrote:
    >> I don't care whether the adapter is bus-mounted or USB. Who makes a
    >> decent wireless adapter with a 64-bit driver?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken

    Actually,I have been doing some research with google. What I find is
    that most people have had difficulty with finding adapters with drivers
    that work well with Win XP 64. In addition, I feel that posting a
    question in a newsgroup is part of research. I have a firm belief that
    it is a waste of time to re-invent the wheel. If anyone is out there
    who has the information of a unit that does or does not work well with
    the provided drivers,then I am always very grateful. I have learned
    from you that an Belkin wireless PCI card (model?) works, so for that I
    am grateful.

    Thanks,
    Ken K
    Ken, Sep 13, 2008
  6. Ken

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Ken:
    Since you don't indicate which x64 operating system you're using.
    Ralink and Broadcom are 2 chipsets that have 64-bit drivers for XP x64 and
    Vista x64. Refer to http://ralink.rapla.net/ for a list of wireless devices
    from Ralink. There are other chipsets with x64 drivers that I haven't tried.
    You have to determine which chipset the wireless device is using to know
    what drivers are needed.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Sep 13, 2008
  7. Any of the Atheros cards should work, at least with Vista 64. You don't
    specify OS so...

    (Atheros cards are often, but not exclusively, listed as "a/b/g" cards.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 13, 2008
  8. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Dennis Pack said the following on 9/13/2008 1:46 PM:
    > Ken:
    > Since you don't indicate which x64 operating system you're using.
    > Ralink and Broadcom are 2 chipsets that have 64-bit drivers for XP x64
    > and Vista x64. Refer to http://ralink.rapla.net/ for a list of wireless
    > devices from Ralink. There are other chipsets with x64 drivers that I
    > haven't tried. You have to determine which chipset the wireless device
    > is using to know what drivers are needed.

    Sorry. I assumed that since the forum is windows.64bit that implied
    Windows XP Pro 64-bit, which is the program I am using. I had thought
    Vista was Microsoft Vista, but I see that it is Windows Vista. Sorry
    about the confusion.
    Ken, Sep 13, 2008
  9. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Ken said the following on 9/13/2008 9:24 AM:
    > I don't care whether the adapter is bus-mounted or USB. Who makes a
    > decent wireless adapter with a 64-bit driver?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken

    This is Windows XP 64-bit, not Vista.
    Ken, Sep 13, 2008
  10. Ken

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    OK. No problem. Have a look at the MSI Wireless Turbo G Desktop PCI Card,
    PC60G
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PC60G&class=com

    Tom Ferguson, Sep 14, 2008
  11. Ken

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    For greater clarity:
    The MSI PCI wireless card has XP 64 drivers.

    Tom Ferguson, Sep 14, 2008
  12. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Tom Ferguson said the following on 9/13/2008 8:39 PM:
    > For greater clarity:
    > The MSI PCI wireless card has XP 64 drivers.
    > http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PC60G&class=com
    >

    > "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote in message
    >> OK. No problem. Have a look at the MSI Wireless Turbo G Desktop PCI
    >> Card, PC60G
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> MSMVP 1998-2007
    >>
    >> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PC60G&class=com
    >>

    >> "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Sorry. I assumed that since the forum is windows.64bit that implied
    >>> Windows XP Pro 64-bit, which is the program I am using. I had
    >>> thought Vista was Microsoft Vista, but I see that it is Windows
    >>> Vista. Sorry about the confusion.

    Difficult to beat the price. I think I will give it a try. Many thanks.
    Ken, Sep 14, 2008
  13. Ken

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Sep 14, 2008
  14. yes. or a/b/g/n. I actually have one here for the Ferrari but it won't work.
    :( Appears to draw too much current from the slot. )

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2008
  15. Ken

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Sep 14, 2008
  16. D-Link. Don't remember the number and it's in the other room. But the new
    a/g/n one. Bought for life with my DIR-655, and not used now. Not a happy
    camper.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 14, 2008
  17. Ken

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Sep 15, 2008
  18. Ken

    Mr. Vista Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > Ken said the following on 9/13/2008 9:24 AM:
    >> I don't care whether the adapter is bus-mounted or USB. Who makes a
    >> decent wireless adapter with a 64-bit driver?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken

    > This is Windows XP 64-bit, not Vista.

    Ken,
    Vista is also considered to be part of 'Windows'.

    Hence the 64bit version of Vista could be discussed here.
    Mr. Vista, Sep 15, 2008
  19. Ken

    Mr. Vista Guest

    Ken,
    That link does not appear to include the Edimax EW-7318USg at
    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=8&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44
    Whilst the driver download link at the base of the page does not list an
    XP64 driver, this unit uses a RaLink chipset, and there is an XP64 bit
    driver at their support page:

    http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

    It uses the RT257x chipset, so select the 2nd download link from the top of
    the page, which includes "XP 32/64" support. Voila!.

    By the way, I own one of these units, and they are excellent, and include
    the facility for connecting an external antenna.
    They comply with IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b Standards.

    Mr. Vista, Sep 15, 2008
  20. Ken

    konabrown

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

    I just want to thank you for this information. It has been extremely helpful to me. I have been struggling for some time about this issue and am confused no more. THANK YOU!
    konabrown, May 14, 2011