Wireless Adapter which shouldn't be on my computer but is...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006.

  1. Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor

    Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
    http://www.speedtouch.com

    This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
    However, there is a folder in C Program Files.

    PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse over
    it say’s “ Network disable†when I right click on it, I then see
    DEFAULT
    Radio on/off
    Show
    Hide (this is greyed out)
    Exit

    When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows briefly on
    the screen but won’t stay long enough to work out what it says.
    I have tried to delete from program list as the option there say’s
    “Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitorâ€

    But if clicked, it then say’s
    “Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the computer. Do
    you still want to continue?â€

    I’ve also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there…

    I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit this
    icon in the task bar.

    I don’t know what it’s for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?

    When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
    mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then this
    icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
    again…Can anyone help?

    ..

    Regards
    Margaret

    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    Malke Guest

    lethal_assignation wrote:

    > Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor
    >
    > Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
    > http://www.speedtouch.com
    >

    > This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
    > However, there is a folder in C Program Files.
    >
    > PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse
    > over it say’s “ Network disable†when I right click on it, I then see
    > DEFAULT
    > Radio on/off
    > Show
    > Hide (this is greyed out)
    > Exit
    >
    > When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows
    > briefly on the screen but won’t stay long enough to work out what it
    > says. I have tried to delete from program list as the option there
    > say’s “Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitorâ€
    >
    > But if clicked, it then say’s
    > “Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the
    > computer. Do you still want to continue?â€
    >
    > I’ve also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there…
    >
    > I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit
    > this icon in the task bar.
    >
    > I don’t know what it’s for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
    >

    > When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in
    > another mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again
    > but then this icon is once again back and stops my network adapter
    > from connecting again…Can anyone help?

    This sounds like your broadband connection is made with a Thomson Speed
    Touch *Router*, and this doesn't refer to a network adapter or possibly
    it has to do with a usb device that you plug into the Thomson. It
    sounds like you are connected to the router (possibly a combination
    modem/router from your Internet Service Provider) by USB. If this is
    the case, any questions about the Thomson Speed Touch Router should be
    addressed to your ISP.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Nov 11, 2006

  3. I use a Netgear modem router which I have made a wireless connection so I can
    use this computer and my laptop. inside this comp there is only a nic adapter
    so I have used a network adapter which connects no problem. On the laptop,
    the network adapter was already installed and is Realtek. So this Thomson one
    is on the laptop too and causing the problem as until I right click and exit
    it, I can't go online at all. Any other idea's ?
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    Guest

    On 11-Nov-2006, Malke <> wrote:

    > Can anyone help?

    Depends on the history of how it got to be installed in the first place.
    Is it a s/h computer, did you get a disk from your ISP and it installed it?
    With unwanted programs you can sometimes use a good uninstaller to reinstall the
    program on top of the unwanted install, and then use the uninstallers record of
    changes to remove it.
    More risky unless you know what you are doing is to work through the registry finding
    relevent keys and deleting them, may wreck your system, a backup is advisable before
    you try this.
    Use a registry access monitor to monitor what the program is doing, usually gives
    clues as to how to kill it.
    Moral don't install stuff except through a good uninstaller so you can surgically and
    cleanly uninstall it.

    , Nov 11, 2006
  5. I started broadband with aol recently but used a wired connection and then
    only a few days ago got my xmas present early. My new laptop...so changed the
    setting on the router to Wireless. The laptop was fully installed when I
    turned it on so can't tell you how this got on it. I'd be afraid to go into
    the registy like you said, I'd end up with nothing working knowing my luck.
    Again I'll say, when I exit this icon from the task bar next to the clock my
    netword adapter then works ok an i get connected but not until I exit this
    thing. It seems to be set as Default
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Hi

    There might be some conflict between Windows Zero configuration and the
    original software.

    Try to Switch off WZC ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ) and Uninstall.
    Reinstall the Card's drivers.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "lethal_assignation" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 11, 2006
  7. Hi Jack, I don't want this connection run by this unknown adapter thing and I
    don't have no disc to reinstall either except one which says "Notebook
    Supporting Utility"The only other disc that came included are Cd+Dvd Maker
    and Works 8.5 which I still have not installed. I would prefer like you said
    the window zero config to set up my connection and will try your link. I only
    hope I don't mess up the connection I have now with the network adapter which
    I believe should connect me.
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006
  8. Hi
    I agree with your conclusions.
    However, some of the Wireless clients might not be compatible with WZC.
    The nice thing about WZC is that it is part of Windows and that it can be
    easily enable disabled. So you can disable it make sure that every thing
    works OK and try again to enable.
    This page has software, and users guide for your Wireless card,
    http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm
    Disable WZC and give it a try.Might be that upgrading Drivers etc. might
    help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 11, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Ok I've never used one of these.... Here is my take. But if clicked, it then
    say's "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the
    computer. Do you still want to continue?" This is normal and means if you
    un-install it you will be removing it for all users of the computer, and I
    believe that's what you want, so click ok, or yes. It should then
    un-install, and you'll need to reboot your computer once it finishes
    uninstalling.

    When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
    mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then this
    icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
    again.Can anyone help? By unchecking it in msconfig you've not loaded part
    of the drivers, and part of the program is still being loaded by the
    registry or somewhere else in your computer.

    When you un-install this program in theory all that should happen is the
    icon will no longer be in the task bar. In reality you may need to reinstall
    the drivers for the Wi-Fi card you are now using. I suggest that you check |
    Right click My Computer, click properties | click System Restore (tab) | and
    be sure "Turn off System Restore on all drives" is NOT checked. Then go to
    Help and Support Center and click "undo changes to your computer with System
    Restore" Click on "Create a restore point" | Next | give it a name, say
    "before removal" then Create, Close.

    Then uninstall the program.

    Good luck!

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 11, 2006
  10. Hi Guys
    I don't know if it's because I've been at this thing since I woke up this
    morning but I've had it...my brain just isn't taking anything in anymore. I
    looked at the site you gave me and it is exactly what I have on the laptop,
    right down to the diagrams and icons but even doing as they suggest to
    uninstall isn't working... So tomorrow I'm going back to the store and see if
    they can help any. Is it possible that when the comp was in manufacture they
    used this type of adapter to check it out and it wasn't uninstalled properly
    before going to sales? And I am left with the configuration that was used
    then over-riding the configuration I am trying to get set up now. I did as
    advised earlier and went to either msconfig or services.msc, been all over
    today, and changed the wcz thingy to automatic I also saw this adapter is
    programmed to start with windows and tried changing that too but that left me
    in a different start up mode which at this moment in time I'm afraid I don't
    know nothing about and thought it wise to leave things as they are. I'd
    really like to thank you all for trying to help but I'm too scared to try
    some of the instructions given here as they are to advanced for me. Maybe in
    the near future I'll give them a go. Wouldn't do for me to mess my xmas
    pressie up before the big day now would it.....
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 11, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Sounds to me like you didn't get a "new" laptop to me. Was it wrapped in a
    sealed plastic bag? What kind of Wi-Fi device do you have? I believe it's
    unlikely that it was used for testing purposes by the factory. Generally
    *new* laptops require you to complete the windows install, it is not
    finished when you get it.

    David Hettel, Nov 12, 2006
  12. the Well David, as far as I know it is a brand new laptop but when it was
    opened we thought something was missing and the book that came with it seemed
    more to be about a desktop computer than a laptop. It's called Microsoft
    Window's Media Centre Edition and says there should be a remote contol
    included too but the guys in the shop say only certain ones come with remote
    control. The laptop was fully parceled and along with the little book which
    doesn't seem to be of any use to me, was 3 disc's, Notebook supporting
    utility, Cd+Dvd Maker and Microsoft Works 8.5 which is still sealed and has
    the official stamp thing on it. Yesterday I got too confused to continue on
    this problem but this morning I'm bright eyed and ready to try again, and
    guess what.......i've also noticed another thing I'm not sure should be in my
    add/remove list and that is

    Firstly : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Adapter
    Second : Via Networking Technologies USB Wireless LAN Adapter

    now according to my Device Manager these should be

    Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 808.11g 54Mbps 2.0 Network Adapter "2
    Realtek RTL 8168/8111 PC1-e Gigabit Ethernet Nic

    Mostly I would leave these things alone but the little icon in the task bar
    is stopping me from connecting online untill it is exited so I'm sure it has
    some control which I would like removed and as was said earlier I'd rather
    have that with wcz or with the adapter which I can get into the settings to
    configure or whatever is needed.

    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 12, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    Guest

    On 12-Nov-2006, =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=
    <> wrote:

    > as far as I know it is a brand new laptop

    One thing worth checking is any datecodes that you can
    see, such as 0602 or like 0613 (year month or year week
    codes)
    Often rechargeable batteries have such date codes,
    new laptops and PC's usually have fairly recent codes.
    With new equipment you usually get restore disks,
    so if your software goes pear shaped, you can at least
    recover, though you may, if unlucky, lose all your personal
    stuff.
    There is usually a manual description on how to restore the
    operating system.
    XP's System Restore is no good if it won't boot, with
    a "non-system disk" messasge.
    Which is why an external USB backup drive
    is a good idea.
    Many businesses have folded because loss of their
    computer means they don't know who ows them money,
    who they owe money to, what's on order, who it's for
    etc.

    , Nov 12, 2006
  14. I finally got rid of the SpeedTouch Adapter though no thanks to the retailer
    where it was bought. The assistant told me "we don't know nothing about
    computers, we just sell them" and gave me a number to call for help which
    cost around £1 per minute...cheek. But I was lucky as when I was in PC World,
    I mentioned to the guy there on the help desk and he told me to use the
    system recovery and bring everything back to how it left the factory. This
    did the trick but still leaves me thinkng how it got there after it left the
    factory...oh well. As soon as I re-started the computer it connected to the
    internet no problem. Then I connected my other computer to a new adapter I
    bought today which is meant to go with my router from aol, well thank god you
    folk told me how to change to the wzc as again I didn't to have to try and
    figure out the settings for that. I know this is not a chat forum but would
    just like to thank you all for your help, without some prior knowledge from
    you guys, I wouldn't have been able to explain what seemed to be wrong to the
    IT guy today. So here's to the next time...which won't be long as I'm now
    having a little problem with my printer sharing...(smile)
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Nov 13, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Margaret what is the brand and model number of your laptop?

    When you first turn it on you should have been prompted to enter a language,
    a location, a time zone, a keyboard type? These are things you would
    normally be asked with a new computer. If you click on | Start (menu) | All
    Programs | Accessories | Media Center | Media Center (icon) | Scroll down to
    Settings | General | About Media Center | Software Version what is listed?

    You should really have two CDs that will allow you to restore Windows Media
    Center. Or there should be a program that you can run that will allow you to
    create the two CD's to restore your OS. None of the disk you have named will
    allow you to do that. You should also have a certificate that has the serial
    number to allow you to reinstall the OS either attached to your computer on
    the bottom, or as a piece of paper.

    David Hettel, Nov 13, 2006