    the lan?

    I did set one pc with different hardware profiles (docked and undocked) but
    was wondering if there was another way.
    =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=, Mar 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=

    Mr. Smith Guest

    Found in the management area for wireless connections of windows (XP). There
    can set your preferred access point(s) and ignore all others. As for the
    behavior of connection to other access points; this is normal and very
    native. For the most part the wireless receiver in the pc tends to look at
    the strongest signal first.
    Mr. Smith, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Is there a way to tell not to connect thru the wireless adapter if the pc is
    connected to the hardwired lan?

    With one user we just told him to disable the wireless adapter while he's in
    the office. However with some users we have them locked down where they can
    do that.

    =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=, Mar 7, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=

    Mr. Smith Guest

    Well I can't see why you just don't have them shut off the WiFi in office.
    You see its like this, your wireless for the most part is a virtual network
    cable and your WiFi card is its network card (NIC), now you already have a
    NIC that the user is jacked in on. If you are using wireless in off and the
    user also plugs into the network their laptop they will now have two
    connections to the same network, thus 2 IP addresses for one machine.

    This may cause some confusion as the user system has to now decide on witch
    network interface to communicate on. To be honest I would just turn the
    WiFi off. Better yet if you run WiFi in your office network I would keep
    all wireless connection on a different subnet than you wired network.

    This is for security reasons and just good traffic shaping.
    Mr. Smith, Mar 7, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=

    Malke Guest

    wtjohnson wrote:

    > Is there a way to tell not to connect thru the wireless adapter if the
    > pc is connected to the hardwired lan?
    >
    > With one user we just told him to disable the wireless adapter while
    > he's in the office. However with some users we have them locked down
    > where they can do that.

    Yes, you can do this by changing the metric values. Here is information
    from MVP Steve Winograd on that:

    When multiple Internet connections are available, WXP uses the one that
    has the lowest "metric" value. If both of your connections are
    enabled, assign a lower metric to the one that you want to use for
    Internet access, and assign a higher metric to the other one.

    To assign a metric to a network connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right click the desired connection.
    3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Properties | Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Mar 7, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=

    Mr. Smith Guest

    Malke,

    Thanks for that info... I didnt know this.
    Mr. Smith, Mar 7, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=

    Malke Guest

    Malke, Mar 7, 2005
  8. Thanks. I will look this over and asimilate.

    We do not have everyone on XP. Some are still on W2K. Also we don't have
    WiFi in house at this time. These networks are in the area and depending on
    where in the building you are you pick up their signals.

    =?Utf-8?B?d3Rqb2huc29u?=, Mar 7, 2005