Wireless adapter losing network address

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bella Simona, Oct 9, 2009.

  1. Bella Simona

    Bella Simona Guest

    I have a home wireless network. Up until recently it was based on a
    Linksys
    WRT54G and the various PCs are a combination of Windows-based desktops
    and
    laptops (XP Home & XP Pro sp3 and Vista Ultimate sp2) with integrated
    wi-fi
    capabilities or with PCMCIA cards or internal PCI-based cards or in a
    couple
    of cases USB based adapters. It has worked just fine and very
    reliably for
    several years. Since my kids' and grandkids' friends are always
    bringing
    their PCs over to play networked games I have the network configured
    without
    any encryption. I use the MAC address filter in the router. It will
    only
    allow connections from devices that have their MAC address entered
    into the
    router -- something that I can do and undo pretty quickly without them
    having to make configuration changes.

    Recently, one of the desktops (XP Pro sp3) that used a 802.g PCI card
    by
    Airlink started occasionally losing the network address/connection. I
    noticed it because the desktop network icon would be moved and/or
    there
    would be messages displayed saying that the "wireless connection had
    been
    established" even though it was supposed to already have been
    connected. I
    then noticed that when the icon would disappear the wireless icon in
    the
    system tray would be animated and if I placed the cursor over it it
    would
    say that it was acquiring a network address. The connection is always
    rated
    as "Excellent" or "Very good" and shows a connection speed or 48-54
    Mbps.

    All of the other devices never disconnect.

    Thinking that my Linksys router might be getting a little long in the
    tooth
    I replaced it with a new Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N. Nothing changed --
    except
    that some of the adapters that supported 802.n started running
    faster. The
    same desktop continued to lose and re-establish a connection while
    everything else remained stable.

    Then I updated my Airlink driver -- once from the Microsoft Update
    site and
    once directly from Airlink. Again, nothing changed.

    Finally I disabled the device and installed a Hawking 300N USB-based
    adapter. The only thing that has changed is that while the erratic
    desktop
    is connected it is connected at 270 Mbps rather than the 48-54 Mbps.

    I have moved the erratic desktop around to different parts of the
    house
    [near other devices that are working reliably] and the symptoms stay
    the
    same.

    It seems pretty clear to me that it must be something in the way XP
    Pro is
    configured for this particular machine but I can't find any
    difference.

    Is anyone familiar with this behavior and what causes it? More
    importantly,
    how to eliminate it?

    Typically, the behavior you describe is caused by interference from
    outside sources of RF energy. This isn't consistent, however, with
    your
    report that you experience the same problem in different locations. by
    changing wifi adapters, you also seem to have eliminated factors such
    as
    a failing adapter or bad antenna connection.

    The only other thing that I can suggest is to check to make sure that
    any power saving feature of the wifi adapter is turned off. Check the
    properties of the device for both a "power management" tab and for a
    "power save mode" on an "advanced" tab.

    As Lem posted, look at the Power Saving (Card Configuration Menu) and
    get
    the card out of the POWER Saving Mode.
    You can also try to Disable Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and
    Install
    the original vendor's Wireless utility ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    ).
    Otherwise, XP is very friendly in refreshing the OS. I.e., you can
    reinstall/refresh XP without losing any thing of the current
    configuration.
    Refresh XP Installation.
    Boot from the XP original CD. Skip the first screen that offer Console
    Repair, and continue as though you install a New XP.
    After you Agree etc., the new install screen will come on and would
    detect
    the current XP installation.
    You would have an option to Press R for Repair.
    Use it, would take about 45Min. and you would have a Refresh
    Installation of
    XP while keeping all your data and XP configuration.
    P.S. If you made changes to WinXP Security setting (Like Firewall
    special
    permission), you have to look over them after the refresh since they
    might
    revert to the Default.

    I have a Tenda TWL541C(P) network card on my Win2000 desktop PC. I
    also have another combined network/sound card which is connected to
    broadband. I share the broadband internet connection with a linux
    laptop (EEEPC) via wireless network.

    A problem is that the wireless connection stops working after the PC
    goes on standby, and I need to reboot to get it to work again. I've
    got the latest Tenda drivers and software installed.

    BUY CHEAP TEXTBOOKS at
    www.CHEAP-TEXTBOOKS.oq.pl

    Compare prices on over 9 million new and
    Used textbooks in one convenient location.
    We've already helped people save millions of dollars.
    [/
    SIZE]

    Find the Lowest Prices Online at Our Catalog
    -
    CLICK HERE TO VIEW!

    Use code: "3160229101" to get 50% discount!

    Today's top searches: textbooks cheap. college textbooks.
    textbooks used. online textbooks. textbooks for college. textbooks
    for cheap. cheap college textbooks. buy textbooks. rent textbooks.
    cheap college textbooks. cheap used textbooks. buy cheap textbooks.
    zrt1q1. cheap books. online college textbooks.
    Bella Simona, Oct 9, 2009