    AP at startup? Running Windows XP SP2 with built in
    Intel Wireless Adapter. Using Netgear AP.

    Thank you in advance for any replies

    John, Dec 17, 2004

  2. John,

    Please verify that this network is indeed in your preferred list. If that
    is the case, then this connection should be automatic, unless you disconnect
    from it yourself, in which case it will be marked manual. In SP2, the
    wireless configuration will show this information in the preferred network
    list.

    If it is indeed in the list, and is set to automatic then you should be
    connecting just fine. If it is set to manual you will have to connect
    manually each time. Repair basically restarts the driver for the wireless
    card. I'm not sure how this ends up fixing your problem, but I believe you
    when you say it does. My suggestion would be to delete this network from
    the preferred networks list, and click OK in that dialog. Next, try to
    connect to that network and put it back in the preferred list.
    Perhaps there is some problem with the stored information regarding that
    network.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Dec 18, 2004

  3. John,

    are you using Link Sys by anay chance because if so their tech line will
    walk you right through the process without difficulty. I had the same problem
    and they worked it out for me by checking my ISP and making sure the site
    weas correctly set up at 192.168.1.1

    Geoff

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=, Dec 18, 2004
  4. John

    Guest Guest

    Brian, thank you for your reply. It seems to be related
    to my Intel driver to my built in wireless adapter, and
    the latest Windows XP SP2 updates.

    After posting my problem, I went out to the Intel website
    and found that there is a new driver that addresses my
    issues. I downloaded the driver and installed it, and
    WOW, my network connection works great. Now, when I
    power up my laptop, it connects to my AP before my PC is
    even fully done loading everything! Before it would take
    forever, or not connect at all.

    Again, thanks for your input.
    John

    Guest, Dec 20, 2004